Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 359 / Views: 19,065Next Topic
Page: of 24
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintage of 175,000 - 200,000 for each coin seems low. Especially for the sole Peace dollar. I bet that the day/hour/second the Mint opens for sale, the website crashes.
Also, while $85 might not seem high you can get a very nice MS64 Peace dollar for that amount of money, or a very nice MS65 Morgan.
Edited by NumisEd
04/14/2021 7:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2217 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the mintage for the Peace is 200K.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3405 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll buy 1 Morgan and 1 Peace, but I think $85 is a high price as its not even an ounce of silver. Considering they can do ASE for Melt plus $3, 3 times melt seems high but honestly I was going to get them even if $100.

200000 limit for the Peace seems low, considering that 850000 for the 5 Morgans.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least the mint had enough sense not to release all those coins on one day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I am going to pass. Unless the Mint comes up with a PROOF Peace dollar at the last minute...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10967 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I think about it some more, with a HHL of 25, these could get go pretty quickly.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copied and pasted them. Don't know if I'll try to buy them all but I want to get one Morgan and one Peace at least.

Edited by livingwater
04/14/2021 10:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the mintage numbers provided are the maximum amount of silver dollars they will be producing for each privy, or is it a total amount they will produce? What I mean is will they only make 175,000 morgans total only, or will they make 175,000 of each privy mark (with a potential of 875,000 silver dollars total).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1318 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$85 for each of these coins? That's crazy. The uncirculated 2021 commemorative dollars are $74 each, and they include a $10 surcharge. There's no reason for the Morgan and Peace dollars to be so expensive. But with the HH limit of 25, I expect these will sell out fast.

It's also disappointing that the coins will be struck in .999 silver rather than the original .900 silver. And it's not stated, but it doesn't appear the Peace dollar will be in high relief like the original it's supposed to be honoring. Lastly, the CC and O privy marks make no sense for these coins. Their stated purpose according to their product pages is:

Quote:
In honor of the 100th anniversary of the last year of the ' Morgan dollar' the United States Mint is proud to present the 2021 Morgan dollar,

But neither the Carson City nor New Orleans Mint were even in operation, let alone striking Morgan dollars in 1921.

If the price was more reasonable and the Mint paid proper homage to the original coins, I would have been in for a Peace dollar.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree $85 is a high price. As we know, in 2019 the mint switched from 90% silver to 99.9% for commemorative dollars. Maybe they didn't want to order a batch of 90% blanks for these. Whatever the US Mint site says, it seems the intent was to honor the history of the Morgan/Peace dollars and the various mints that struck them through the years, not to 100% replicate the 1921 versions.
Edited by livingwater
04/15/2021 09:16 am
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll be enlisting family to assist in making sure I get at least one of each, preferably one of each MM. I don't wanna have to pay secondary market premiums.

Me too! Even with these mintages, they will be hot commodities!

$85 is about what I expected for these. Maybe we won't see any proofs?
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which one do you think is gonna wind up being the "rarest" of these 6? I think it's gonna be the Denver minted one, because it's really not that famous of a mint (carson city, San Francisco, New Orleans) and people buying two are either gonna buy the cc/o privys, or the philly Morgan/peace set. Mostly gonna be bought by people buying the entire set.
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At least the mint had enough sense not to release all those coins on one day.
This.

After seeing images, I will go for a privy O and the Peace.

Quote:
Which one do you think is gonna wind up being the "rarest" of these 6? I think it's gonna be the Denver minted one
Or maybe I need them all?
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish they had a proof coin for one of them. While I do want to get all of them, it would be nice to have a little different finish for each of them.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tweeted for what it's worth and hope others would let the USM know their feelings.

"I respectfully ask that the USM reconsider the first day limits on the Morgan and Peace dollars. Help collectors out, avoid negative feedback, and get these coins in the hands of as many people as possible. Maybe a compromise of HHL 5-10? Please consider this again."

Page: of 24 Previous TopicReplies: 359 / Views: 19,065Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05