Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,151Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10662 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The slippery slope comes from the fact that Congress, back in 1996, put measures in place to help ensure that collectors, beginning in 1999, would not be subject to the type of abuse they dealt with back in the mid-1930s when the number of new commemorative coin issues skyrocketed.

Quote:
Congress is now circumventing itself - and the wisdom of the limits - by passing commemorative coin bills that ignore the two commemorative coin limit imposed in 1996.

My thoughts exactly. However... this is/was legislation conceived by humans. Which we know is meaningless.

Get ready to open your pocketbooks, collectors!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7548 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Mint is in search of profits at the expense of collectors

I'm sorry but that just sounds silly. The mint cannot turn a profit unless there are collectors interested in their products. If there is a demand for a product why should we be upset with them filling it? It's not at the expense of the collector if it's the collector who wants it.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4431 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is trying to be prevented by the 1996 law is a year like 1936 that had roughly 20 commemorative coins minted. That is where a slippery slope leads back to. Think about that for a minute...really step back and think about it. The cost to the collector and the realistic underselling that would occur due to designs that just had little excitement (example Girls Scout design).

So for as enthusiastic as some of you are (and I certainly appreciate that) step back a minute and think of the long term potential/risk if we start diluting the commemorative coin program with an increasing number of designs a year.

Quote:
If there is a demand for a product why should we be upset with them filling it?

What demand was adding these two designs based on? So it does look like chasing profit at the likely expense of the commem section of out hobby long term.

And on slightly different note. I always appreciate the varied thoughts and opinions you folks bring to the table even when y'all are wrong
Each and every one of you have a fantastic Sunday and for the more sensitive ones please understand my previous sentence ended in a good natured bit of humor.

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
09/27/2020 07:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2489 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the end doesn't really matter, I'm a buyer of these if they come out. I'm not an active collector of commemorative coins as 90% lose value, other than now in which every collectible is stoopid priced I used to buy commemoratives for melt. Since I like Bison comms the only one of the set that cost more than melt was the Native American reissue of the Bison Nickel. So I'm all for reissues! I won't buy the regular issued 2021 comms so unless the mint produces something I want, I'm not spending money .

But I will agree with "commens" on one thing the mint is now on a slope of becoming like the Canada mint, we have colored coins, multiple issues, w coins, privy marks, in the end the mintage will get lower as people don't buy the coins as they won't have much collectibility short term, but as the Hawaii commemorative shows sometimes the mint hits it out of the park.

Knowing what's a dud or a hit won't be known for decades, and most of us will be dead at the time.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/27/2020 08:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2806 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who cares about a slippery slope? It's like some of you believe you're part of some mysterious "morality police" when it comes to how things are done at the Mint. I just don't get the guys who don't want this bill to pass. Commems- what difference will it make to you, really? If you won't be buying any, how exactly will you be negatively affected by this? The various reasons I've heard for not wanting these sound more like self-righteous rants- "if I don't like it, then it shouldn't exist." That's just silly. Until the end of human history, the Mint will continue to strike coins in silver. Why can't it be Morgan and Peace dollars again? This is the ONLY thing that makes sense as the demand WILL be there. I'm with you, hfjacinto. My wallet is waiting.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4705 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Darth Morgan: I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I couldn't express my opinion if it differed from yours.

If you've read my posts over the years, I think you would see that I'm not self-righteous or believe that I am part of "some mysterious morality police." I have always believed that everyone should collect what makes them happy, regardless of how others view it - I've stated such many times over the years. That philosophy holds for these coins as well. Just because I don't agree with them being issued, doesn't mean that other collectors should feel they shouldn't buy and enjoy them. We all have to collect what makes us happy!

I simply have a different view of this coinage proposal based on the context of what collectors have been subjected to in the past. Whether you agree with my view or not, I believe I am entitled to express it! Just as you are free to express your views.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when we started getting the first whiffs of this news (months ago by now, I guess), I was on board with it, it sounded pretty cool.

but now... not so much. the mint is in my doghouse at the moment. my feelings about it are similar to commems'.

if/when they are actually produced, and depending on availability/price, I might have a change of heart, but right now I am leaning toward:

pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1647 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When these items were proposed as bonafide commemorative coins, I was completely on board. Now that they are being produced in a governmental loophole, I am not excited about the prospect of what will undoubtedly result - a flood of who knows what...

I hope that this particular instance is a case of the Mint responding to collector sentiment. Remember when we were asked to support this commemorative issue a few months back? I was one of the collectors who contacted my congressmen and asked that they support the program. I'm pretty sure that many, many collectors did so. That's what makes me think that they are trying to provide something that the collecting community asked for - even if it is done through technicality.

I anticipate a fairly healthy upside potential for these issues, especially if the premium isn't charged as is the case for actual commemorative coins. These will be a sell-out (depending on what sort of limits are imposed, if any.) And, I would imagine that the items will hold value to a certain extent.

Am I a buyer? Right now, I'm most definitely a "maybe."

(Edited for spelling)
Edited by Bump111
09/28/2020 10:15 am
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check coincollector123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will definitely be buying the set of the Morgans and Peace as they are one of my favorite designs of the classic coins. I did read that they will probably not be making a proof version. But I would like to see a high relief version of the 21 peace
Pillar of the Community
United States
2489 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope limited release but not 30000
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4705 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These will be a sell-out (depending on what sort of limits are imposed, if any.)

As written, the House bill does not specify any limits in terms of the number of coins that can be struck or in which years the coins can be struck. It only states that "The Secretary may issue coins minted under this Act beginning on January 1, 2021."

With such vague language, the Mint could take any number of approaches: mint-to-demand, pre-set mintage limits, unlimited mintage, annual coins for the foreseeable future, etc.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2489 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't mind annual releases for the future. I would collect them like I did the ASE bullion.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check coincollector123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would at least hope the Morgans drop in 2021 though as it would be the 100th anniversary and a high relief Peace dollar for 2021 but then I wouldnt mind seeing the Peace dollars continue on later like they did 100 yrs ago
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect either series, so whether or not I buy them will depend on the packaging.

I will most definitely buy a hypothetical two coin set if it were packaged the same as the silver dollar and medal sets of the last two years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2806 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I simply have a different view of this coinage proposal based on the context of what collectors have been subjected to in the past.

See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. You are making a moral judgement, while at the same time claiming to speak for other collectors. No one has been subjected to anything. You simply have the freedom to either purchase or not purchase. This isn't a moral issue. There is nothing to protect. It's simply business.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
09/28/2020 6:54 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,151Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05