Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,100Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4695 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. You are making a moral judgement, while at the same time claiming to speak for other collectors. No one has been subjected to anything. You simply have the freedom to either purchase or not purchase. This isn't a moral issue. There is nothing to protect. It's simply business.

No moral judgement being made and not speaking for others. Just reporting on what collectors themselves reported in the hobby press in the past - it's all documented.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/28/2020 7:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the end if these coins are made some of us will buy them, some won't. Others will whine and others will complain that these shouldn't have ever been made. Personally I could care less about whether you buy them, all I care is how quickly they will take my money. I want a few and I want them now!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4413 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard not to sound self righteous when accusing some of being self righteous about expressing their own thoughts.

Nor do I see any whinIng going on. Some concerns and certainly some facts presented that I imagine a number were not aware of. I know I learned some things in this discussion.

Hard to consider ones points when the judgemental comments are throughout the post. Ehh well To each their own as they say. We shall agree to disagree.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
2806 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't understand the thought process where one believes that people should collect what they like while at the same time hoping a bill doesn't pass that would actually allow a LOT of collectors to collect what they like. There is this "moral high ground" mentality to protect a hobby that does not need protecting, and it is tiresome to me. I mean, there has never been a time where I hoped a particular coin didn't get made. Why would I?

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and yes, I do understand that everyone else can have theirs.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
1184 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This should result in the coins being $10 cheaper than silver dollars in current commemorative programs because there is no surcharge added. I wonder if that would actually happen?

My guess is yes. Proof ASEs are about $10 cheaper than proof commemorative silver dollars and the uncirculated ASE is $15 cheaper than uncirculated commemorative silver dollars. Since the legislation in effect just authorizes two new bullion coins, it seems like comparing them to ASEs is the more appropriate comparison.

Quote:
I find it interesting to note that while the bill specifies "The Secretary may issue coins minted under this Act beginning on January 1, 2021." it does not include an end/expiration date. Theoretically, as written, the legislation allows for coins to be struck annually by the Mint.

As written, the bill just authorizes the US Mint to begin minting two new silver bullion coins. I have to believe the Mint won't be able to resist having the ASE, Morgan and Peace silver bullion coins minted each year.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4695 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As written, the bill just authorizes the US Mint to begin minting two new silver bullion coins.

Just for clarification's sake, the new coins would weigh 26.73 grams vs. a full troy ounce (31.103 grams).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What if they use this to reissue all the silver dollar designs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What if they use this to reissue all the silver dollar designs?

I only have an interest in the Peace dollars, I'll get a Morgan as it would be cool to have a 2021 Morgan. I'm not really interested in other silver dollar although if a Gobrecht dollar is reissued I would get one. But because I don't want it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did read that they will probably not be making a proof version.

What no proof? That's not cool. What types of strikes are we looking at here? Strictly uncirculated?
Learn More...
United States
90934 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just for clarification's sake, the new coins would weigh 26.73 grams vs. a full troy ounce (31.103 grams).
Thank you for pointing that out as I was ready to make the same comment.

Quote:
What no proof? That's not cool.
For a Morgan, they need to make them proof-like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1184 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Correct. So, these new bullion coins should be even a bit cheaper than ASE prices. IF the Mint goes with .9 fine instead of .9993 fine, then they should be even less, but I expect they will be .9993 fine like everything else the Mint is currently producing.
Edited by BadDog
09/30/2020 12:51 pm
Learn More...
United States
90934 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe they will be since the silver proof sets and commemorative issues now use the same silver fineness as the ASE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1233 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I mentioned in an earlier thread about this subject, I'm not a fan of this legislation for two reasons: it circumvents the controls that Congress put in place to prevent abuse of commemorative programs (as @commems explained), and it essentially creates a series of restrikes. There's a reason that limits are in place, and why commemorate another coin with a coin, when you can easily buy the original coins?

I'll pass on these. That being said, I'm still interested to see what happens.
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not collect either series, so whether or not I buy them will depend on the packaging

Feel the same. I've always liked the silver Peace dollar design so being able to get a nice, hopefully shiny, new one is very appealing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you see this?

Quote:
I did read that they will probably not be making a proof version.

This is a quote from the article: "Uram said discussions included details for Proof and Uncirculated releases, with the possibility for special sets to include coins of different finishes from multiple Mints."

I want a Proof Peace dollar.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,100Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05