Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 123 / Views: 6,771Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With only 657 million Morgan dollars coined, the supply is exhausted. Like the Susan B. Anthony coins of 1999, merely a hiatus in production from 1981. The Morgan dollar itself sat idle from 1905-1920 so this resumption of coinage is not unique. 190 Million Peace dollars with a break from 1929-1933. So unless they've revoked the legal tender status of those, the forthcoming coins or the 90/10 composition of the coin itself, I don't know why they'd need House or Senate approval. The U.S. has never demonetized anything although debasement is routine. As usual, if you want them, buy them. It is very easy to not buy them also ; so easy that it's my first choice.
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why they'd need House or Senate approval.
Because the Morgan design was superseded but the Ike, which was superseded by the SBA, which was... you get the idea.

This same legal situation is what keeps giving us the recent silver medals instead of silver dollars. The mint cannot just reissue any old design they want.

The gold bullion coins are different. Their legislation gives the mint more power over design choice.
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose that's whether (you) consider it a 'reissue' ; (I) consider it a 'hiatus' if nothing has been changed since the coins were last issued. Morgan was superseded by Peace, then Ike, then SBA ad nauseam. All 3 except Mr. Eisenhower took long breaks during their production only to be resurrected and resumed ; it seems as if that's what's happening unless they produce bogus copies like the gold Mercury, S.L. Quarter, W.L. Half. or JFK Half like a few years ago. (Wrong size, metal, different inscriptions etc).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(I) consider it a 'hiatus' if nothing has been changed since the coins were last issued.

Well considering that dollar coins aren't struck for circulation and silver was removed from circulating coinage over five decades ago, I'd say a lot has changed.

Quote:
Morgan was superseded by Peace, then Ike, then SBA ad nauseam. All 3 except Mr. Eisenhower took long breaks during their production only to be resurrected and resumed ; it seems as if that's what's happening

While it's true that those series did have breaks, they were 17, 6, and 18 years, respectively. It's been 100 years since the last Morgan dollar was struck, and 85 years for the Peace dollar. That's more than a long production break; reviving these coins series would be unprecedented in the history of American coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly as long as they are available I'm buying them! I'll collect the 2021 series of both but will only do the Peace dollar if it's continued.
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has nothing to do with gaps in production...

When new designs come out they legally replace the old ones. In other words, the mint can no longer legally mint previous designs as coins without legislation to reauthorize them.

The only exception is gold bullion coins. The legislation that authorizes gold bullion coins allows the mint to issue any design they want.
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're in danger of sounding like a group of lawyers here. 'This legislation , that exception, blah blah'. Once again with paperwork or not, regression is the underlying theme; the discarded/discontinued policies of yesteryear and their nostalgic comeback. I honestly do not care one way or the other how or why the legislators legislate (because that is what they do?). I would like to see the provision in 'the law' that definitely disallows reissue of former designs without new congressional process. I've never read any of the coinage laws/acts in detail so if someone here could please point that out, I'd like to read that part. Mr. College is correct - 85 or 100 years is more than a break in production ; it is a miniscule blink of the eye of history.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only exception is gold bullion coins. The legislation that authorizes gold bullion coins allows the mint to issue any design they want.

Here come the 2021 Morgan and Peace gold dollars (think 2016) with a mintage of 1921 for each.
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here come the 2021 Morgan and Peace gold dollars (think 2016) with a mintage of 1921 for each.
I would not bet against them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
657 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Senate passed the measure Dec. 17 by unanimous consent.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...lver-dollars
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link!

Quote:
H.R. 6192 authorizes production of Morgan and Peace dollars in not less than .900 fine silver, with the balance of the alloy in copper.
This means no problem using the current .999 silver stock.

Quote:
Uram said that, in discussions with U.S. Mint officials, they indicated options would include issues struck at the Denver, Philadelphia and San Francisco Mints.
Cool.

Quote:
Privy marks could be added to specific Morgan dollar issues to pay homage to the silver dollar output at the former Carson City Mint in Nevada and New Orleans Mint in Louisiana.
Interesting.

Quote:
Uram said discussions included details for Proof and Uncirculated releases, with the possibility for special sets to include coins of different finishes from multiple Mints.
This is what I would probably be interesting in buying.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8096 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
included details for Proof and Uncirculated releases, with the possibility for special sets to include coins of different finishes from multiple Mints.

Wooooooot! I said this 3 months ago, I said that they'd do them in multiple finish styles. Now this I'm hyped for. This I'm very hyped for.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wooooooot! I said this 3 months ago, I said that they'd do them in multiple finish styles. Now this I'm hyped for. This I'm very hyped for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6889 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent news...Admittedly its nice to have a lot of variety...but not for the wallet!

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Learn More...
United States
94482 Posts
Page: of 9 Replies: 123 / Views: 6,771Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05