Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 Victoria Large Cents Re Punching?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 191Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1919 Victoria large cents re punching?
Your thoughts please on how this has happened as its only on 4 letters?
C
CAN
also the 9's maybe re punched and the vine to the left of the date has been repaired were the dent is (vine on vine)

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
09/26/2020 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1593 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice one Don, the only other 2 I've seen both have DP9's when letters in Canada are doubled
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wait ,wait there's more adding 2 more photo's
Cheers Don

Edited by fourmack
09/26/2020 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 more photo's

Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd closely picked up every 1919 that I could from 10 years ago until about 3 years ago, when I'd lost the thrill of the hunt. If you do some archive searches on here for 1919, you'll find lots of discussion and photos. It's machine or Mechanical Doubling and will vary from coin to coin on how many letters get involved. I guess it was just a result of how loose the die was in the holder.

On the Reverse, the MD in Cents and Canada start on the far left letters (CEN and CANA) and will go further to the right on some coins. There are also some nicely offset DP'd final 9's, as well as the scarcest of them all ... BOTH 9's are repunched.. You will find quite a few with the C's or CA's offset, but the good ones go all the way to the ADA. Griffin had the coin with both 9's repunched (and the accompanying MD on the lettering) as a rarity 8, which was as rare a number that he used. I've found 2 with both the 9's doubled, both rarity 8 and the 1's are doubled as well. Here's some photos of some neat 19's:

Edited by okiecoiner
09/26/2020 7:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that 1919 that you started this post with one that I had sent you, or was it a KIWI find? At last count, I think that I have/had about 125 or so 1919's. I picked up all I could find that showed any doubling of the Rev lettering. Then I would examine them under the binocs. You have a really nice find there, Don. Not many people know about them.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice photo's Okie and I will be looking a lot harder at this date from now on.
I pick this coin up yesterday from a very small coin fair from an Aussie dealer for a few $$ and when I first looked at it I never saw the re punching as my eyes are not the best in low light.
I have just pulled out the rest of my 1919's 10 in total and checking them.
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just the 1 no more and thanks for the info
Cheers Don

Edited by fourmack
09/26/2020 8:04 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05