Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1873 Newfoundland 20 Cent Piece.. Looking For Opinion On Grade..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 394Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:03 pm Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
these are sellers photos, and he/she has it at ef45..

thanks in advance for your opinions...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51147 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-25, possibly 30.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3694 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see little wear on the head. XF45 is at least plausible. Still it is hard to be that precise from the pictures.
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some wear in the hair at the back of the head and a little bit in the braid as well. Eye, laurel and ear are outstanding and the rims and surfaces are also quite good. Reverse is sharp.... EF seems reasonable to me...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Extremely sharp, but the brightness in the fields suggests a cleaning of sorts. EF-40
Pillar of the Community
Canada
957 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, agree with EF-40/45 based on wear on hair
Pillar of the Community
Canada
992 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
take the coin OUT of the 2x2
and take new close ups. It will look much better and will eliminate some guesses.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8120 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45 for sure
There is absolutely no wear on the laurel leaves and only slight wear on the braid which appears typically weakly struck.

If you can manage to take a coin you don't have out of the 2x2 please let us know how you do it? Spooky action at a distance?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  06:44 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i don't have it in hand yet, once I do I will post new photos.
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM - agreed that the laurel might be what takes it up a notch. The central veins running along the various leaves... it's not often that those are preserved. I can see at least one of those clearly - the leave immediately above and slightly to the left of the ear - and it appears to run the full length of the leaf. Though @NN's caution about possible cleaning is worth considering. Depends on whether there are any hairlines.... if not, then I would not be so concerned about that. 1873 is a generally scarce year and nice examples of the 20c are not easy to come by.

@silverwolf - if you're willing to share, I'd be curious to know what you paid...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin, worthy of EF-45 for sure. Doesn't look to have been circulated. A number of people have helped to preserve this coin over the years for sure.

I don't think it has been cleaned, not with the mint luster showing through in the legends.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i will provide better pics, and the price I paid once I have it in hand..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1078 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, an each XF, maybe even AU.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in-hand new photos,, and I paid $245. Canadian ..

personally I see an old cleaning, and I am at vf-30-ef40

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU to me. Nice coin. Great price
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05