Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown "Cash" Coin? Calling The Experts...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1647 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  08:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The coin / token below is ~2.4 cm in diameter and less than 1 mm thick. It weighs 1.66 grams. I'm pretty sure it isn't properly oriented since I am about 0 for 20 on these things! Any help in identification is appreciated. I don't know the lingo so can't use Numista. Thanks a bunch!

Edited for spelling as usual.
Edited by Bump111
09/29/2020 08:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3717 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first image is upside down. It appears to be an issue of Emperor Hsuan Tsung (1821-1851) of the Fukien mint, but the characters are distorted, and I am not sure why. The fact that it is grossly underweight may have something to do with that, but there are more knowledgeable people who should know.
Edited by oriole
09/29/2020 10:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5981 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a modern reproduction; they make them to use as decorations or in crafts
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
1647 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I will pass it along to the proprietor!

Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it's a modern "Feng Shui" replica of a Chinese cash. Often used in making charms, wall hangings, "coin swords" and such, which are traditionally made up of "sets" of different emperors, or different provinces. Apparently, the evil spirits can't tell the difference between genuine coins and replicas and are equally repelled by both.

The genuine coins are so cheap and common, this is one of those cases where the value doesn't really change whether it's fake or genuine. Many coin dealers, around here at least, have a bowl of "Chinese cash coins - $2 each" or something like that. In the bowl you'll usually find a mixture of genuine coins and replicas.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05