Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is A First For Me With Canada Customs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the first time I never got charged for a grading service by Canada Customs for my coins coming back from PCGS.

I called them before they were shipped and discussed my yearly membership that is (Platinum membership) and with this membership I receive 8 coins graded with membership.

I phoned to mention to them the way I read their membership program is that the 8 coins are a gift (grey area) they say not but part of membership. Then I mentioned that the way they return them as 8 coins being graded cost me another $ dollar amount on the other end as Canada Customs charges GST for their services cost Canadians more money to use them.
On my customs paper they put down Grading appraisal return - $180.00.

Resulting in no charge to me from Canada Customs I don't know if it was my call or they figured out a way to help me with Customs or Customs people missed it this time. I'm a happy camper over it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3510 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talked at length with the Commercial supervisor at Abbotsford Huntington border
Crossing before Covid hit . The official opinion I received is this .
There is Nothing in the Customs Act that allows for dealing with the return of
Coins , Stamps , Antiques or Watches being expertised and return to a Canadian
Owner . The only caveat is that you are sending YOUR OWN materials . If you are
doing it as part of an enterprise , GST HST COULD be levied . He said basically
hardly worth the effort .
In the last week I have received an ANACS shipment and two separate NGC shipments
no Customs issues at all .
In fact since 1986 , I had only one issue . ANACS sent me a parcel that was delivered by UPS . Those idiots charged a 50 Dollar brokerage fee !
Use the postal services and there are no issues !
Edited by Pacificoin
09/29/2020 4:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It must be up to the Custom agent as this is the first time I never had to pay GST for grading service in the last 3 years when I joined PCGS membership
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3510 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it happens again ...Appeal and ask them for the exact tariff code
they are dreaming up . There is no EXACT service that is available
In Canada for coin grading that the US services offer . ICCS and
CCCS are similar in the services they offer , but different . IE no
Online images or Population reports available .
Just curious , but when you were charged in the past were you
nailed just GST , or GST and BC PST , under what tariff code?
Did you even attempt to appeal ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last 2 years in a row I was charged the first year I asked the Post office lady what it was all about she said it wasn't Canada Post it was Canada Customs so I just left it at that.

Then the second year I was charged again so I called Canada Customs with the number provided and talked to a lady for more than half an hour about it, bottom line was that it was a GST tax charge for grading services provided.

Then I went through the long story of telling her it was a gift as part of my PCGS membership so how can you charge me GST on a membership, she then told me that if PCGS stated this on paper work then there would be no tax owed.

Money Grab
Edited by papeldog
09/29/2020 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
707 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never had a problem sending hockey cards to PSA, coins to PCGS or comic books to CGC.....I always state on export doc "collectables sent for certification, will be returned to collector, not for re-sale"......of course, my shipment for 'free' grading submissions I had to clear in person, because Customs had never heard of such a thing (late 90's) and their little tariff book was unhappy.....all good in the end though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2311 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had to pay any amount when my coins came back from PCGS or NGC.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05