Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Princetane's Growing Collection Of British Coins

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 1,634Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2020  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moving into George V, the coins really come alive

1912 a near VF early date

1915 a really nice EF example and my first coin in the serious halfcrown accumulation.

1916 another nice piece, the photo does not do it justice (Really high VF)

1919 Another early addition and gateway coin - buying it I knew I would enver be keeping any salary ever again as it screamed out for companions.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The change to half silver used 3 alloys - the first was 50% silver, 40% copper and 10% nickel which gave unworn coins a unnatural whitish appearance. like this aEF 1921

1922 saw two types early and late

The early had the crown touching the shield and this wore fast, the latter and more common coin had a groove between the crown and shield and these coins wore better.

By 1923 they had changed the alloy to 50/50 Silver copper - giving a more natural appearance, but even with light wear like this high VF coin, black and brown spots appear and on the worn 1924 in the posts on Page 3 (The original page shots) you can see silver wearing off the piece. This alloy lasted until 1927.

1924 and 1925 are harder years so we move to a more common 1926

2 types appeared in this year, the earlier which was like coins up to this era with a high relief George giving uneven wear, here the Reverse is aEF but obverse is barely VF. In 1926 a lower relief portrait, smaller and less beads appeared and this coin is less common. I still need to get one.

Another gVF coin from 1927.
This year saw the Quarternary alloy of 50% silver, 40% copper and 5% zinc and 5% nickel which worked and was used through to 1946. It gave a realistic looking coin and wore better.
It was the last year of this design too after 26 years.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic examples! I like the circulation cameo on some of the more seasoned ones.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won't be too many more "seasoned ones" now sorry

My 1929 EF coin, this is one of my earliest too and my avatar coin - the coin that made me notorious.

1930 gF but a scarce year, in fact the scarcest since 1905

1931 aEF another true stunner of mine

1932 EF with some 4 million a less common date, but still a nice coin for me. The last year they were bought to NZ.

Thats all for George V as my 1933 - 1936 are all mediocre and we pick up with George VI.

Apologies for delay, been displaying some nice Australian florins.

Edited by Princetane
10/13/2020 10:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With George VI I bought most of these coins well after the way back thread so we have some fresher photos.

1938 AU/UNC bought a week or two ago.

1939 AU+/gEF, the first of several shiny coins I bought in May

1940 AU/UNC a real stunner here!

1941, this might be truly Uncirculated!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7724 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - those WW2 era halfcrowns are stunners!
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Won't be too many more "seasoned ones" now sorry
No problem. I like the fresh ones, too!

As expected, looking good!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finishing off my 40s gold

1942 Truly Uncirculated and amazing

1945 almost UNC, this coin was notorious for being criticised for its bag marks by an American forum meber who got rightfully shouted down.

1946 - The final one of my KGVI stunners. This is also virtual Slider UNC.

After 1946 they switch to base metal cupro nickel and the coins in my collection become much less impressive.

Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1945 almost UNC, this coin was notorious for being criticised for its bag marks by an American forum meber who got rightfully shouted down.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel my latest haul should get showcased here

1820 George IV, historically cleaned gEF coin - a real stunner and sold by a dealer who also had the same coin Uncirculated!

Even better is this, but I suspect it may also be cleaned. Cleaning is the scourge of coins here in New Zealand

1826 AU - Is this not a beautiful coin though!

Next 3 late Victorians
Edited by Princetane
11/12/2020 7:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Queen Victoria section also got a well needed upgrade and a new date.

EF and also cleaned in the past with something abrasive

gEF and not cleaned (PS I am NOT responsible for any of this cleaning and it frustrates me, but I have a choice VG or cleaned EF)

1897 AU and again possibly cleaned, yet a stunning coin and my best halfcrown conditionwise until 1938!

All in all these 5 coins have really lifted my 19th century selection to the level of the mid 20th century ones
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7724 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice halfcowns, Princetane!
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I feel my latest haul should get showcased here
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice - I really like that first portrait of George IV.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next coin to be showcased, my farthings 1826 - 1956

Some stunners here and nearly every single coin from 1860 onwards.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 1,634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05