Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Princetane's Growing Collection Of British Coins

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 5,371Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys - I just collect anything that looks nice and love the fact the coins in my collection cover the whole spectrum, from UNC down to unreadable.

It's a journey for me, when I started this thread I had a lot less coins and love watching the journey of progress.

I hope to keep filling more gaps and upgrading coins along the way. Also the next goal is to add a new denomination to collect and I am thinking of the shilling.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
610 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fabulous P. Keep it up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Completely forgot about this thread and just found it, will update in coming days.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Completely forgot about this thread and just found it, will update in coming days.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and do these in order, the last update was April.
Spoiler - nothing new here if you follow the British coin acquisition thread where I have been a persistent if slightly overbearing contributor.

Basically since April, I have added very few new dates in either the Halfcrown or Florin departments, but I have upgraded a lot and I have also started the shillings as well and already in 6 weeks have gone from near nothing and worn coins - to a lot of better single coins.

Starting from the last one left off.

Not strictly coin of the realm but British, the Lundy puffin and half puffin were minted for Martin Coles Harman, self proclaimed king of Lundy island in the Bristol Channel.

A self made business man, Harman turned the island full of old castles, lighthouses and buildings placed by the eccentric 19th century Heaven family into his personal fun park complete with soay sheep, ponies and the funny looking puffin bird. In 1929 he went further issuing his own stamps and coins. The Puffin coins got minted by Heaton and sons and tourists to Lundy had to cough up their money into "Puffins" and pay "Puffinage" for the mail. The actual birds themselves were almost extinct only recovering in 1990s.

The stamps survived and are issued to this day (I know I have most of them), but these coins landed him in hot water, charged with uttering and questioning the realm he got a 5 fine in 1933, which seems mild, but also a cease and desist order.

This pair are in UNC condition and they are fairly scarce now. The coins are slightly smaller than real Pennies and Halfpennies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things went quiet in May and early June as I focussed on my Fijian, Kiwi and world coins collection.

In June the next coin was this VF 1903 British Florin, amongst my best examples of this expensive and beautiful type.

Of course now all I am missing is 1902 and 1904 (Yes I got a 1905 in October!)

Later June saw me travel to the South Island before Delta came along and forced us back into the Stone age.

However none of the massive coin buying involved the UK sadly and only in mid July does the next coin come.

This is a EF/near EF 1888 Halfcrown I paid too much for as I got excited about it, off a naive seller. Still its better in the flesh and is a 900% improvement on the worn coin it replaced.
Edited by Princetane
10/28/2021 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once we reached August, we moved back into lockdown and the coin buying began again.

A near VF/VF 1899 Florin came next with some sharp detail, it again upgraded a much more worn coin. Then that was followed by,

A near UNC 1948 halfcrown, super common base metal coin with 71 million minted, but how many do you see above VF? Seriously the modern coins in high grade will become the ones to collect in years to come.

August also brought on two new crazes, NZ tradesmen token collecting and British shillings. This saw English coins go on ice again, but Level 4 lockdown this time at least allowed the Post Office to operate - first was a very nice upgrade of an 1829 Halfcrown, a rare date and any coin is nice, but I happily forked out over $100 for this one!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Shilling missive was planned in August as I got what I had in order and the buying began with this lot in early September.

These were the silver ones and included some better dates like 1882 and 1939. Most are worn and I got them at melt price then (Silver has dropped a bit pricewise).

The cupronickel bases were covered with these ones

Better coins came almost immediately

This 1917 coin cost about $40 was EF, more EF GV and GVI coins have come since.

Also this nice 1928 Halfcrown upgrade on a superworn coin I brought back in March 2020, which is like Pre Neolithic era in my Halfcrown collecting endeavours.

These coins and several reinforcements came in after a week of the first big shilling buy in. But it was about to gete even better still!
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spoiler - nothing new here if you follow the British coin acquisition thread where I have been a persistent if slightly overbearing contributor.
It is still nice to see the recap here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super Set!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shilling craze led to another explosion in my collection, noticed by the Halfcrown boom of March 2020 and Florin boom in Sep/Oct 2020.

A minor lot in an auction late September saw a major boost in the shilling collection including all these

5 Victorian era classics including 1883 gFine, 1887 high VF and high EF with stunning detail, an EF 1889 and high VF 1900 that looks very neat.

Also 1903 VF, 1919 aEF and 1930 g Fine added more high grades and a scarce date.

Finally we had the high quality proofs for 1937 Scottish and 1970 Scottish.

And the heads of all these coins, the young Victoria has the old coin orientation rather than medals.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can see, the shillings burst out of the blocks quickly, these coins seems to be in general cheaper and easier to get than their larger cousins. Even better is the near complete run of dates from 1816 through to 1970 and as you will see by November, the beginnings of a line of coins stretching back over 500 years.

The first shilling per se was a "Testoon" of King Henry VII issued between 1502 and 1504 (Coins then had mintmarks and this is how you dated them). Of course my budget does not stretch to testoons! but it does stretch to coins issued in that same century as you will see.

Before we reach those gems, we open up another monarch, a William IV shilling that was a decent example and cheap. This is at the moment my best William IV coin as all my halfcrowns are in the worn gVG to Good level. This coin is almost Fine.

Leaving shillings aside for a minute, October gave us a rarer florin and a Threepence upgrade.

A fine example and easily a key coin for the 20th century florins, compared to the 1905 Halfcrown and Shilling, this coin is pretty easy to get and this one did not cost that much.

A cursory glance at 3d's was also done with this set completers being offered to me 2 weeks ago, here we have all the debased KGV coins of 1920, 26 and both types of the last date. After the shilling accumulation slows, I will move to the 6d and 3d and again both have roots in the 1500s.

A better than average set of all the Kruger Grey 3ds was added with a nice VF 1928 and 1930, the 2 more scarce dates in the line up - these are beautiful little coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bringing the story up to date now.

First a lovely 1894 Halfcrown upgrade from Fair to EF+

Using a lot of seller's photos here as mine are not that great given my shaky pre Parkinsons arm and cheap $89 phone camera. This one loves 80s dayglo red.

A stunning 1937 Proof halfcrown, the photo did not do it justice, lovely UNC condition and this sellers loves washed 1940s pale green.

The 1937 Scottish coin met its English stable mate too.

Finally the last coin so far is a EF 1932 Shilling, that replaced a nasty coin from only September. It looks nice and was cheap.

And that brings us up to date!!!

Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"A stunning 1937 Proof halfcrown, ...this sellers loves washed 1940s pale green."

That's a beauty.

Ha, maybe he's partial to Wedgewood green?
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 5,371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: