Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 Hungary 5 Pengo, Cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 279Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  12:52 pm Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly, but it could also be die polishing lines, are the lines going across raised off the surface, or are they incused into the metal?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin has been abrasively cleaned. The person who cleaned it stopped doing so, when they saw the damage that was being done.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Possibly, but it could also be die polishing lines, are the lines going across raised off the surface, or are they incused into the metal?

I was hoping it was die polishing lines. Since the lines stop so abruptly at the devices. But I'm having trouble telling if they are raised or incused. Light burned out on my 90x. By feel I couldn't tell the difference.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google search did show a lot of this type of coin with a very similar look.

Edited by Lancek
10/05/2020 7:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Compare with lots of images in Google Images:
'1938 5 Pengo'
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Compare with lots of images in Google Images:

I'm not saying every coin would have die polishing lines. Obviously only the ones struck recently after the die was polished would have them.

My Krause catalog does say the the coin was restruck in later years as a proof. Without being marked as a restrike. Could the dies sometime have been polished in an attempt to make a proof? But not polished quite enough?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the lines in the fields are raised, then die polishing is indicated, if below the fields, then the coin looks to be an impaired proof (scratches). Hard to tell the difference in the pictures.

If indeed they are die polishing marks, then the polishing has been to the detriment of the mirrored fields, which can easily be seen in the pictures.

In hand examination with a 10x loupe should confirm either way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lancek,

I have sent emails to you regarding your 1836 sovereign, please let me know, thanks!
Edited by Panda
10/09/2020 2:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21645 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, harshly cleaned.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05