Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian $2 Coin Collecting Mania And Prices

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 4,582Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of a sudden they are ramping up releases now.

1. Olympics - 5 coins (Yes these are 2020 dated issues, but they did not see the light of day until July 2021)
2. Paralympics - 1 coin
3. Ambulance - 1 coin
4. Wiggles - 4 coins and 2 x $1 (Amazed they did not do a novelty 1 cent too).

Hopefully this will be 2021, because if they keep doing 10 coins a year, people will lose interest and the mania will stop.

Of course there will always be a market for the pre 2016 stuff and real interest in Red Poppies and Purple Corries (Invented my own Aussie shortened word!).

This has the potential to be what Australian post has done with its tidal wave of wallpaper stamps.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
09/26/2021 8:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3251 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, I think it is already getting to much.
I gave away stamp collecting because of the over abundance of new stamps
and now coin collecting is going the same way. :(

Quote:
Invented my own Aussie shortened word!

You know us too well. Keep that up and we will have to issue you citizenship. :)

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
909 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All of a sudden they are ramping up releases now.

1. Olympics - 5 coins (Yes these are 2020 dated issues, but they did not see the light of day until July 2021)
2. Paralympics - 1 coin
3. Ambulance - 1 coin
4. Wiggles - 4 coins and 2 x $1 (Amazed they did not do a novelty 1 cent too).

Hopefully this will be 2021, because if they keep doing 10 coins a year, people will lose interest and the mania will stop.

Also issued this year was the $2 coin commemorating the Indigenous men and women who have served in the military ... if you've been lucky enough to find one, that is!
According to RAM it was supposed to be released into circulation at the end of March but I've yet to come across one in the wild.
https://www.ramint.gov.au/publicati...ry-personnel
Valued Member
Australia
97 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me if I don't get excited about the next round of mint bag hoarding and profiteering that comes with the release of every new coloured coin these days.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3251 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Machinman. It makes it very hard for us normal collectors to try and get these coins.
You see people on Facebook and Ebay selling big bags of them and I wonder how they get them.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
909 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Forgive me if I don't get excited about the next round of mint bag hoarding and profiteering that comes with the release of every new coloured coin these days.

Quote:
You see people on Facebook and Ebay selling big bags of them and I wonder how they get them

Firstly, how did these sellers get access to these folders so early and secondly, who would pay these ridiculous prices when you'll be able to walk into any Woolies store shortly and buy them for $15?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3251 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Firstly, how did these sellers get access to these folders so early

Maybe they don't have them yet, just pre-selling.

Like you said though, why would you spend that much, when you can get them for $15.

Steve :)
OFEC count = 237
Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jens coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ad says pre order but they have taken a photo of the actual album so must have it in hand to do that.
Same picture on ebay but different sellers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3251 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jen, I think the pictures are just off this website. Or are you referring to some different pictures?
https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...e44ff2dfb2a9

Steve
OFEC count = 237
Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jens coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Steve I didn't see the picture on the website.
Yes that's the picture they are using.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It will only stop when people stop buying them. I suspect coin collecting is a lot larger than stamp collecting. I suspect most people buying PNCs are coin collectors, not stamp (there seem to be a lot of PNCs minus the coin on EBay!).
Edited by David Graham
09/27/2021 9:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3021 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I deliberately missed out the 2 Indigenous coins as I knew there was controversy over them, thanks to David telling me in an email.

It is sickening that people are already trying to sell these coins at 2x or 3x release price before they are even released. Them and Ebay have no ethics.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3251 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
trying to sell these coins at 2x or 3x release price

If I could find them at 2x I would probably buy them, but the cheapest I have seen is 3x for the military service coin. The flag coin is like $30. :(
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
909 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go again ... on the day of their release, this ebay seller sold 21 of these coins from a RAM roll for $12.95 each plus $3.99 postage!

Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Read into this what you will but the last few c mint mark coloured $2 have disappeared from the RAM online shop in about 15 minutes and this one was on there for nearly 3 days. Maybe a little bit of heat has come out of the $2 market or maybe a lot of "collectors" who thought they were going to make their fortune on recent releases have re-accessed
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 4,582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05