Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Florin Buy In

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,929Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised my latest Florin, its a 1952 and described as AU - the lustre is also knockout and I honestly can not see any wear. This is a really nice coin and cost me $40 NZD about $38AUD

It replaced a coin in VG condition.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2721 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PrinceTane, that coin looks sweet as bro.

Steve
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane this is a very nice set you are building
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
94180 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As promised my latest Florin, its a 1952 and described as AU - the lustre is also knockout and I honestly can not see any wear. This is a really nice coin and cost me $40 NZD about $38AUD
Fantastic addition!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, it will get harder soon as all the easy KGVI and QE2 dates fill up and we hit the KGV ones. But I am over the moon that these coins are there and I can now afford to buy them, rather than worn ones.

I have lusted over having a really nice set of Australian silver florins for years and now I have 27 of them! At least 23 are nice ones (4 are worn coins I already had).

Steve, to be honest I don't speak like that at all, I think that accent (Cuzzy bro) is really the vernacular of the poorly educated and more criminoferous class of Kiwi. I think its cliched and presents NZ in a bad light.

I don't blame you as I know its mainly the lower grade New Zealander that moves there and causes our bad reputation, generally any Kiwi who is not visiting Australia on holiday is probably not our A grade citizenry. I cringe when I hear about some tattooed magoo is deported here and just today deported Australian/NZ criminals are responsible for a rise of gun violence in the ghettoes of South Auckland (A no go area unless you are brown).

I actually apologise for the numbers of gangstas, criminals and wannabe mine labourers and shearers we send there, its a poor representation of our country.

I can assure you using that language would get dirty looks from most New Zealanders who would quickly identify someone say "Sweet as bro" as lower class and probably living in South Auckland or Porirua (Our West Sydney or Sunshine).

Its like our equivalent of "Fair dinkum and strewth cobberoo"

Although the worst thing I did to upset an Australian was when we were flying to Melbourne in 2006 I started doing Kath and Kim impressions in the queue and a Melburnian got offended saying there is more to Melbourne than those 2 stupid bogans. He got more offended when I asked where Fountaingate mall was and where I could buy some Hello Vera and Joejoba and he was all "No way Josay" with me
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
11/04/2020 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2721 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tane, I hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't my intention. I know a few Kiwis over here and they are very nice people. Just for the record, they don't speak like that either, it was just the stereotype thing we see on TV.
By the way, I can't stand Kath & Kim either.

Cheers mate.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good, I am getting worried as your coins have not arrived yet, NZ Post need to get their act together.

Meanwhile, the Florin haul is on ice for a bit as I spent a lot of money on some rare English halfcrowns (As you know English coins are my other great interest, particularly farthings, florins and halfcrowns).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
741 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the '52 florin is a beauty, maybe a hint of circulation so minimum AU58 else MS63. That year is so hard to find with decent natural lustre and yours has it in spades.
Valued Member
Australia
128 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Princetane thanks for your great insights into Aussie and NZ coins.

Your knowledge is highly informative and well expressed in your writing.

Aussies and Kiwis are long time friendly cousins:= so much so that for many years now even Geoff Howarth has been having a frothy or four quite often with his old mate Traver Chappell.

And they always have a talk and a good laugh about when Trevor nearly caught Geoff's bat in bis follow through in the last over of an unforgettable Test match in February 1981.

Or was there something else that happened in the last ball of the last over of that Test ?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2721 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am getting worried as your coins have not arrived yet, NZ Post need to get their act together.

She'll be right mate.
They will turn up eventually.
We have a saying here in Western Australia,
that W.A. stands for Wait Awhile.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nealeffendi - thats good to know.

I bought it as AU, so its 58 I'm stoked, the dealer I bought it off is a bit more expensive but very professional and grades hard, to many that coin would be seen as UNC.

The signs of first wear I look for on a florin, is the emus feather, just below the back ridge and the middle chest of the roo, most EF coins have clear wear and the AU's have a light rub - this coin is so borderline, the emu passes, but a tiny spot of rubbing on the roos breast and on George , I always check his cheekbone ridge - the lightest rubbing there too.

If I see clear flattening on his hair, that automatically makes it EF.

My assessment would be its a high AU as well. I have the 1947 Florin to compare all these KGVI ones too as its my only truly UNC and has no wear in those places and is a good strike (My 1953 Florin is a really weak strike, bt you can tell its UNC)
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not florins but shillings.

I bought this complete set today and are very happy with it. The earlies are all between VG and gVF and most are at least Fine, it has all the keys and I am confident all are genuine. Some have the usual staining and cleaning and dipping is noticeable on some.

The Eddies and GV's, I will be taking some better shots later on as we move into the earlier part of the Aussie coin of the day thread.

Some keys and niceties

The better of the 1910s (An additional coin was for the Obverse, from an album obviously)

1915 and 1915H - the former is VG, latter is almost Fine

1921 Sydney star and 1933, the 2 keys and both are high VG, the 33 may grade Fine.

34 and 35 - both nice but cleaned coins, still both are VF or just about so. They complement my good 30s florins.

Wartime shillings, 43s and 44s - both VF and EF - dipped for the 43, probably lightly cleaned for 44.

The seller told me he was downsizing, yet still collecting (He wants a Melbourne Florin and I think that is what he is hocking these shillings for). Took him a while to get all of them, the money I paid is probably in the coins above. (The 1933 would be about $200 I think).

The money I paid for all was $550, which is not that bad considering there is half that amount in silver. The latter coins are all worn - but easily replaced (Like VG in some cases - he told me it was mostly the pre 46 that interested him).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2721 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An instant coin set. Way to go Princetane.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1958 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instant, yes I know a cliche, but the seller was wrapt and its a base for further collecting and upgrading.

It's what I do, start a new coin denomination with a great base. Plus I am happy I will not be fighting 50 other people for when a 1921 shilling or a 1915H one comes up.

Of all the Australian coin denominations, the shilling I feel is overlooked. People love the 3d and 6d as most are cheap and very easy to get, the Florin has its fans because of it's size and legendary rarities like 1932 and the Victoria. But the shilling, nothing too rare (The keys are all 6 figure mintings) and a fairly ordinary design along with many not making the greatest grade.

I love to be lazy at times, but I do really put more effort in to my UK Halfcrowns and Florins and rarities of all countries - Australia is a country I have wanted to collect for years - but cost and condition have always put me off (Especially George V and earlier), but the combination of those Florins and these shillings, along with yours and other Australian people's encouragement have made my Australian coin collection fantasy a real thing and coins seem to just be presenting themselves to me.

I was just browsing trade me 2 days ago and that collection came up with a buy now. I thought it would answer all my problems at once and it was mine for the taking (Money is in relatively good supply at the moment). I knew if I waited for it to close, I would probably lose it and the opportunity would never return. So I took the iniative and just bought it.
Edited by Princetane
12/30/2020 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2721 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
along with yours and other Australian people's encouragement have made my Australian coin collection fantasy a real thing

So glad you made the plunge and very happy to help out.

You are also helping to make our NZ collections a reality.

Cheers

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,929Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05