Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Going On With This PCGS Holder?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 537Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
3639 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  02:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it a fake complete with CAC sticker or ?

Here's the eBay listing. 303726396108
Edited by jimbucks
10/15/2020 02:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they just omitted the 1 in the date. The cert number checks out, and the coin looks in about the right condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3639 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If legit it's missing more than just the complete date.
Edited by jimbucks
10/15/2020 04:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11073 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  04:20 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks legit to me. The cert # checks out with PCGS and CAC. Is it that the cert # should start with 8241?
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Edited by spruett001
10/15/2020 04:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4917 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's an OGH (old green holder) with an omission on the date.
Coins in those slabs pre-date gradeflation so the grade is honest.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is legit, dating to before the holdering process got so slick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3548 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's a Struck Through Grease issue....
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9393 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another listing with the same issue. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1885-Morga...AOSwSeRffidw
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6862 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - this is just an old PCGS holder put together before they developed all the current standards.

I miss the old days when the coins could speak for themselves. Just saying.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4738 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this a few times, I don't believe they are label errors I believe the seller is doing it for some reason
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller does not mention this error or promote the coin in any way because of this. Please explain your reasoning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe the seller is doing it for some reason

They are both the same era PCGS holder from the early 1990s, and the seller's other coin slabs aren't altered. Maybe they were graded at the same time decades ago when their label printer was on the fritz...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4738 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps you're right then! I've experienced this with sellers before where the person photoshopped random digits off the cert...I assumed it was some strange way of trying to protect themselves from some type of fraudulent activity..
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19684 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However, what if that is the real date for that coin? Wouldn't that make it rather really rare?
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 537Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05