Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1623 Token? Can Anyone Help Me Identify This? Token? Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 157Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  5:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help me identify this? Is it a coin? A token? I am guessing it is French--I love the design! Was it really minted in 1623?

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
441 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a French token, and yes it is minted in 1623. It was issued for the Royal Council (in 1623 that would have been for Louis XIII). Each year a new token was issued, probably in conjunction with their meeting (I don't know how they were used, maybe they were just distributed to commemorate the event). Depending on whether it is in silver or brass, the value is in the three figures or two figures range.

NIL NISI CONSILIO translates to "Nothing without the Council". MUNDUM LUSTRAVIT AB ORTU translates (freely) to "From the beginning it has spread its light across the world".
Edited by erafjel
10/15/2020 5:56 pm
Valued Member
Poland
160 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with @erafjel - to follow up, they were distributed to participants, with a few gold pieces struck for the king, Royal cabinet, etc., a greater number of silver pieces for higher ranking participants, and copper examples issued to lower ranking officials / entourage.

Although they were in reality souvenirs, jettons fulfilled a function in the highly complex accounting system that emerged in the 13th century, and was in use in various forms until the early 19thc. Basically they were moved around in a specially designed cabinet to track various accounts simultaneously. The best account of this system that I have been able to find is in the 'Handbook of Medieval Exchange' by Spufford, in which it gets its own chapter.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 157Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05