Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Holiday Exchange - Secret Santa

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 22,622Next Topic
Page: of 29
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11379 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been waiting patiently for my Santa gift to arrive and it showed up today.
I am totally blown away at all the goodies in the package.
Here is a picture of the wrapped bundle:

It included 4 post cards from Japan, which I'm pretty sure is where it's from and explains why it's arrival was delayed:

Also an Australia fridge magnet, apparently my Santa moves around:

A nice assortment of coins & tokens, the oldest of which is from China Han Dynasty in 118 BC and another from the Sassanian Empire from 200 - 600 AD:

Along with a Philippines Commemorative Coin:

A Kadena Air Base token, perhaps Santa is in the military:

A Sasebo Japan token:

A USS Green Bay token (maybe Santa is a Packer fan?):

And last, but certainly not least, a 1945 Philippine dime in MS65, which means Santa knows I like silver:

(It's really much prettier than the above pictures. Getting a decent image thru a slab still gives me fits.)

There are quite a few things here that I don't know much about, so I clearly have some research to do over the next several months. It's always fun learning about new things, especially in the cold winter months. The tokens will go nicely with my token collection. Since I live in Wisconsin, I particularly like the USS Green Bay token. (Go Packers! All the way to the Super Bowl!) The 1945 dime from the Philippines is very cool and will go nicely with my type collection, which I may now have to expand and include U.S Territories.

I just have to say to my Secret Santa -
Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

This was well worth waiting for!

Also, a big THANKS to Richard for organizing this again. It's one of the highlights of the year - especially this past year.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Choose your words, for they become actions.
Understand your actions, for they become habits.
Study your habits, for they become your character.
Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

ANA Member since 2007.
Learn More...
United States
14217 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
19 Jan 2021
10:27 pm Forum Time

Those who have not yet received

Brenpickle
Jgfindring
Mint_marq
mmerc20
molydeii
SPP-Ottawa
Susuman

Then there were
7 to go
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Learn More...
Canada
9557 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, after an interesting delivery route, I learned that Santa's team of elves do not like PO Boxes - so finally, it arrived on my doorstep this morning. It was one cool package (literally, with a -19C wind chill outside today).

I realize that I am not an easy collector to buy for, with specific tastes in errors and PCGS Registry Sets, so I am always amazed that every year, folks find things I really like. This year was no exception. A very astute Santa noticed a gaping hole in one of my PCGS registry sets and with a wave of a magic finger (over a mouse button), they managed to fill that hole in my Canadian nickel dollar proof-like registry. This is an Extra Waterlines variety (the most extreme of the 1968 Doubled Die Reverses - where the tip of the First Nation's head feather is doubled with maximum spacing between the waterlines). I wrote about this type in the CN Journal a few years ago. Quite scarce, and even harder to find in proof-like strikes. The lack of collecting demand is probably the only thing that keeps the price unfairly low - it is that hard to find. I have provided the article here, hopefully in a resolution high enough to read.

On top of that, as a scientist, I always like to learn new things. So, I have a handful of ancient coins to unravel and a counterfeit ASE, that I will use to educate some of the local vest pocket dealers north of the border.

Very much appreciated Santa!!

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
14217 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20 Jan 2021
12:06 pm Forum Time

Brenpickle
Jgfindring
Mint_marq
mmerc20
molydeii
Susuman

1/2 dozen left
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know..
While we all enjoy the yearly Secret Santa exchange let us look forward...
My mom's cousin, who sis and I called Aunt Helen, had the following answer to the question "What do you want for Christmas?"
Her response, "A KIND WORD IN JULY."
Would it be possible, for each of us, to reach out to our CCF family and bestow a kind word next July?
No postage.
No standing in line.

Just a thanks to another collector who has touched us.

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
United States
823 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My gift made it today. Looks like it was postmarked the 19th of December? So, I am sure my sender was worried. It has an awesome mix of silver and type coins. I will get pictures up tomorrow because I know that is what people really want. Thank you so much. Everything is awesome.
Edited by brenpickle
01/20/2021 8:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
14217 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20 Jan 2021
10:56 pm Forum Time

Jgfindring
Mint_marq
mmerc20
molydeii
Susuman

The Final five
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1904 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mcshilling,
I love the duits.

I've been interested in them ever since I read that they circulated unofficially in Scotland in the 18th and late 19th century to the detriment of poor people, probably being given in change as farthings.

These duits or doits were small copper coins minted for circulation in the Netherlands varying in weight from 2g to 4.5 g.
Anne Gordon, who wrote 'Candie for the Foundling' about the Scottish kirk and their session records mentions them.

Many Scottish kirk session records mention duits, doits or dytes, which in her book, she states were worth a farthing (that is, 1/8 of a penny), and she wondered what they were.

Doits were commonly found in the kirk collections and were a common problem. They weren't legal tender but probably did circulate either because there was a shortage of low denomination coins or because they were passed to unsuspecting people, perhaps in dark premises like inns. They must have come from somewhere. Some kirk sessions sent people to London to get farthings from The Royal Mint, however in 1764 the Mint sent out a letter saying that there no farthings available nor would any be coined for several years.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5538 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is an interesting piece of history I did not know.
So they had these duits in Scotland at the same time as they did for the Indonesia area?

I did have 2 different ones before I got these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
756 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets hear more...this is cool. . .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pertinax,

Thank you so much for your fascinating tidbit on duits being used in Scotland! I am very surprised they did not get any act to pass and forbidding the usage of such coins in Scotland. I would think it might be more effective that way, no?

SPP-Ottawa,

You certainly got amazing goodies! It is clear you have been a good lad in 2020! Your Secret Santa is awesome, too! For he or she worked hard to make your day happy one! Thank YOU and YOUR Secret Santa for sharing this wonderful spirit with us via your post!

I am looking forward to hear more from other members!
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MatthewVincent,

I particularly agree with your sentiment: "Just a thanks to another collector who has touched us."

I think that is perfect as this Secret Santa Exchange is based on that idea as well! Not only that, as well as to celebrate holiday or festive spirit!

In my opinion, it should be applied every day throughout the year.

Thanks for reminding us to appreciate other collectors even dealers!
Valued Member
Russian Federation
192 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a pity that I did not have time to participate.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1904 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carrigna,

Quote:
Thank you so much for your fascinating tidbit on duits being used in Scotland! I am very surprised they did not get any act to pass and forbidding the usage of such coins in Scotland. I would think it might be more effective that way, no?

I suspect that enterprising traders bought large quantities of duits and dumped them into circulation. The reason they circulated at all is that there was a severe lack of small change. The Scottish turner or bodle worth 1/6 penny sterling circulated well into the 19th century in the Highlands. An Act to forbid the usage of such coins would have realised the need for small change and it's more likely the Government would have authorised The Royal Mint to strike suitable coins than introduce new legislation.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 22,622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05