Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Holiday Exchange - Secret Santa

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 21,932Next Topic
Page: of 29
Learn More...
United States
14187 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand totally I lived in New Zealand for 2 years and Australia for 9
Just a few of the places I have lived
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1942 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rggoodie sent a pm yesterday, not sure if you received it. Have had issues with spam folders lately .
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1904 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the US silver 3 cent

Quote:
I am amazed that the US Mint did make such coins. Many times I saw them in "poor" condition, frequently bent or beat up.

The Royal Mint struck slightly lighter smaller one and a half pence silver coins from 1838-1862. They were intended for British Guiana, Ceylon, Jamaica and Trinidad but they certainly circulated in Britain until WWI - my granny remembered collecting them for the Christmas pudding. (Some of my specimens still have fragments of 100-year-old Christmas pudding).
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5532 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my granny remembered collecting them for the Christmas pudding

Yep I remember my grandmother and mom doing that and we did it with our kids as well.
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My English grandmother would do the same for us with her pudding. I remember one year our lucky border collie managed to find the coin in his slice of pudding. Lucky because if my Mother wasn't intently watching him, he probably would have choked on it.

I really miss those days when my Grandparents were with us. If you still have your Grandparent(s), know that you are very lucky and don't think tomorrow can wait, think only today.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10816 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a quick note to say how much I look forward to this every year. Thanks, rggoodie for the blood, sweat and tears.
Learn More...
United States
31624 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of members that said "pictures (or more pictures) later", yet I never saw them.....
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are a number of members that said "pictures (or more pictures) later", yet I never saw them.....
Shame!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess I'm guilty as charged. I guess I need to go take some photos
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I really need more info on this coin/token

I think there was one more coin from Cuba. But cant locate it right now
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check unruhjonny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really need more info on this coin/token

This is a commemorative coin from the Royal family visit to Canada in 1939;
On the map of Canada, the train route is marked.
As I recall, this royal visit was actually a covert means of the UK communicating with the USA, as the United States had not yet officially entered the second world war;
I believe it was only France, and the UK who officially declared to be in war with Germany after the Polish invasion.

I have seen this coin once in silver, and still kick myself for not buying it, as the price seemed quite reasonable.
I am unsure of the actual silver content of said coin, most of the coins, err tokens of this nature I have seen were the copper ones.
Still lamenting the passing of our penny;
Hopefully I'll be passing the bug onto the next generation.
Wanted list HERE
Pillar of the Community
United States
576 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Pertinax, for your informative explanation regarding a denomination I had heard about. I was not aware that it was also used in England. I do know about Maundy coins but these coins? Very surprised. I heard from my older relatives they used to collect silver 3d coins for Christmas Puddings as they felt it is better than having to use a brass 3d coin! I never heard about these coins from them. Maybe because they are in the North of Ireland?

I am very happy to see photos being posted!

keith12, I do like that Canadian dollar coin—a special edition for what event? Silver Austrian coin? Nice coin that one, methinks! The Royal Visit medal is very interesting! I especially like seeing the king and his queen on same medal.

Susuman, That is the coin I was thinking of! A thin and thinly silver 3 cent coin! The condition is quite common like that. It just makes me think it was heavily used back then? No offence intended!

Again, a big thank you to our Santa rggoodie for his hard work and patience with us, the members! I do think we have a great exchange for 2020-21!

Edited by Carrigna
01/26/2021 01:55 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11351 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  03:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 21,932Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05