Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Request To Attribute Henry VIII Groat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 199Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
SOme time ago, I bought this Henry VIII groat for my wife's Tudor/Stuart OFER collection, but somewhere along the way the detailed attribution went missing. We just have "Henry VIII Groat 1526-32."
From what I can glean from Numista, COinArchives, etc, it's second issue, but generally I see a date range 1526-44. Does the specific mint/privy mark narrow the date range? And would anyone venture a catalog number?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by tdziemia
10/18/2020 12:32 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
472 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintmark is the Lis, which was used throughout the Second coinage 1526 to 1544 in London, so I don't think that gets you any closer to a date.
I believe the reference is S2337E - Large Laker bust D, Roman nose etc. The scarcer S2338 would have the HIB in the titles, which I do not see. S2337E appears to be the most common of the second coinage groats.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1481 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very beautiful and historic coin showing the 2nd bust of him. He looks a lot more solid than the Renaissance page boy look of the 1st coinage (Although I heard it may his dad Henry VII who was well into his 40s then).

I had a look at a good mintmark page and could not find anything more specific either.

Still interesting and historic piece!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05