Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2002 Jfsnc Jefferson Nickel "Pattern" Strikes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 434Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  7:08 pm Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this eBay listing randomly the other day...

...and it was nearly a dream come true! Ever since I saw the original winning nickel design by Felix Schlag, I wanted a real-life example and I have also wanted a silver version of the Jefferson nickel. This is both!

So, I tried finding more information on these and found that there were 1,938 of both the cameo and matte proofs struck for the Full Step Nickel Club of Burbank, CA. Many, if not all, were originally slabbed by SEGS as part of the offering and they were sold for $80/set by Darrell Crane of the FSNC.

The listing I linked to above is for the set numbered #991, which is the same that was mentioned/being sold by member Paddy54 on CT last year (same seller?). There seems to be some confusion about whether all sets were actually slabbed at the beginning or not because there are two types of labels used.

I also read that Bill Fivaz had a number of these sets he was selling years ago, but no one seems to know whether they were all sold or not. In fact, no one seems to know definitively whether the entire mintage was ever actually sold by Mr. Crane to begin with.

I am very interested in these, but the few I have found for sale have pretty outrageous prices considering they are essentially modern fantasy tokens. The listing I linked to is by far the most reasonable, but I am wondering if anyone has any more information on the whereabouts of these sets and if anyone has some or one set that they would be interested in selling.

Also, if anyone has any contact info for the FSNC or Mr. Crane, it would be greatly appreciated so that I may be able to get to the bottom of this!

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3178 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool, first I have heard of these.. I like them..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9127 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a set. The key search word is FSNC to find others. There is usually a set up or sold in completed items. They should come in SEGS slabs.

Read here: http://goccf.com/t/366331
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG

What do you think of that price for the set? ($300)
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9127 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at first these could be had at around $100 - $125 ish range. Then they rose to around $300 and still were selling. Some try to get much more. I was lucky and got mine at low levels. I forget how much but maybe less than $100. quite a few years ago.
I dunno, they aren't actually Jefferson nickels, mine just sit back in the safe and I personally would not pay $300 for the set today when $300 could go toward a gold princess dollar or something else on my want list.
I can't say what they are worth to you but they have been a pretty constant $300 range pair for probably the last 8 years or so.
Whether they sell I don't know. You could make an offer through "Contact Seller" (other) and not "Make An Offer" (whether or not that is an option) for a lot less.
I do well asking through "Contact Seller" (other) for less by offering my amount that way politely now and then. Maybe they will bite if they got the set early.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
10/19/2020 11:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my set...

The haziness on the proof coin is the result of scanning vs. imaging - the surfaces on the coin itself are clear and mirror-like.

Both coins check out as valid on the SEGS web site.

If I recall correctly, I purchased the set directly from the club back in 2002, but I'm not 100% sure. I know that I paid less than $100 for the pair.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/20/2020 12:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally would not pay $300 for the set today when $300 could go toward a gold princess dollar or something else on my want list.

That's kind of where I'm at. I have real Jefferson nickels I still need, but if those were actual Mint patterns, I would pay that in a heartbeat!

Quote:
You could make an offer through "Contact Seller"

I have thought of this and may give that a try. That's why I was wondering if there was anyone to contact who may know if they all sold or if there's a way to get them more directly from the source than going through eBay sellers.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51979 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful, but too dear for me.
Learn More...
United States
92103 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05