Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Three Latest Pottery Pickups

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,386Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Bob. Happy new year.

Well, the coin collecting has been on pause for a year now. It's not that I don't want to pick up more coins, but my primary focus of late has been to build up the weaponry and pottery collections since they are my newer focuses. The pottery collection, in particular, is in its infancy. I want to build it up steadily in the coming years - assuming I work out the storage situation. I have been reducing my Parthian coin collection for a few years now, to raise funds for collecting more of the artifacts. But I am still on the lookout for a specific Parthian type that I am particularly fond of (it rarely comes to market), and am always looking at coins from Elymais that show up in sales. I'll be tossing in bids from time to time. I think that once the artifacts collections are further developed, my purchases at that point will be more evenly spread out between them and coinage. In the meantime, I'm enjoying coin collecting vicariously through Novicius, Palouche, and others here.

Thanks for the question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A pottery update. Here's one that arrived today.

Etruscan Bucchero Kantharos
c. 650 - 600 BC
14.6 cm (w) x 12 cm (h)
(5.75" x 4.75")

Ex-Marcel Gibrat Collection, purchased between 1965 and 1991

Comments:
Flared conical foot, tall arching handles (one missing), notched ridge around body at base of handles.

Learn More...
United States
23628 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  01:59 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool piece Bob.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2374 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice piece Bob!
Always look forward too seeing your new additions.
Amazing how the other handle stayed attached.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, I'm glad you are keeping this thread alive. For some of us history buffs here, it's actually very refreshing to see something other than coinage. I wonder though, didn't the Etruscans decorate their pottery? (I thought they did) Did the adornments wear off in time or were these basically too utilitarian to decorate?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all!

Quote:
Did the adornments wear off in time or were these basically too utilitarian to decorate?

TC, it would seem that much of the Etruscan "bucchero ware" was undecorated. The kantharos I picked up is a standardized type, without decoration. Here's an example from Princeton's art museum, of what it would look like if complete:
https://artmuseum.princeton.edu/col...bjects/19152

This is actually my second Etruscan piece. The first I've posted here before. It's this one:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ga...Bucherro.jpg

These are rather refined and elegant pieces, with strict symmetry and pleasing proportions. However, while I do like these and am happy to have them in my collection, I really have a fondness for the quirkier and sometimes awkwardly formed Iranian pieces from much earlier.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful piece, Bob.

It is hard to imagine that an artisan could fashion such an elegant piece of pottery with the most rudimentary of tools, and for it to survive for two and a half millennia is credit to his work. Great provenance too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim!
Pillar of the Community
United States
836 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are very cool, and a great read. Thank you for sharing. I love learning about anything I can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd toss in another update to this thread. Today I received my third ex-Arthur M. Sackler Collection vessel. It's from NW Iran and dates to Iron Age I, meaning late second millennium BC through early first millennium BC. It measures 9 1/2" (24.13 cm) tall. It's pretty austere, definitely an example of form following function. It is unglazed and has a simple shape reflecting its function as a jug. It's got a rim chip with a big gap where a sherd has gone missing.

Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bob, would this likely have been for holding water?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume so, Dave - although, of course, it may well have held milk or any other liquids in its day.
Learn More...
United States
23628 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely piece Bob, it's amazing how it stayed relatively in one piece for thousands of years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6056 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 68 / Views: 3,386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: