Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Three Latest Pottery Pickups

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,024Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2359 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an interestingly shaped piece Bob...I've not seen anything like this before with such an ingenious pouring system....Lovely addition to your impressive collection!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5074 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What an interestingly shaped piece Bob

Indeed! I imagine it's a lot more fragile than a simpler shape, hence scarcer to find one mostly intact?

Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul and Ted.

Quote:
...scarcer to find one mostly intact?

That's occasionally true, it seems. Certainly mine has multiple losses, and the Trocadero example above is reassembled from multiple pieces. But one often sees these listed intact too - which might suggest particularly good ancient pottery skills (which, certainly the ancient Iranians possessed) and ideal soil/burial conditions over the millennia - or, in some cases, modern fakery rearing its ugly head. There is certainly plenty of "Amlash" (an often misused term for all NW Iranian material) and other supposedly Iranian pottery that I regularly pass on because it appears, and probably is (IMO), too good to be true.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
635 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the latest addition to the collection, Bob. I hadn't seen anything like these "bird beak" pitchers before. Even though the design of these pitchers makes them vulnerable to breakage, your example has survived remarkably intact. There is a good balance between practicality and simple elegance in the design too.

Not the easiest of vessels to craft I would imagine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Jim!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received a nice Greek oil lamp from an old Swedish collection today. Thought I'd share it here.

c. 4th century BC
10.3 cm (l) x 70 mm (w) x 44 mm (h)
(4" x 2.75" x 1.75")

Description:
Circular base, bulbous circular body, elongated spout, black glaze (mostly intact), some chipping

Ex-Rolf Ivarsson Collection, Linkoping, Sweden; acquired 1940's-1970's
Learn More...
United States
20960 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see an old one Bob. When I was walking through the Muslim quarter of Jerusalem a few years back, they had tons of modern ones for sale but this has a great patina and a super provenance. Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2359 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a sweet looking example Bob ....

I love the simplistic form and strong black colouring.

Bob am I right in thinking these black pieces were made from Black Basalt?...This rock seems to be abundant along the Greek coastline...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for commenting, Paul. The lamp was formed in a red clay, visible in the chipped areas. The black glaze was painted on, or sometimes wares were dipped in it. I'm no potter, and don't know about the ingredients that provided the pigmentation to the glaze/slip.in this case there was also some white paint/slip used. Short Wiki entry about Greek black glazed ware:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-glazed_Ware
Learn More...
United States
23609 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent addition to your collection, It remarkable to see that the paint has lasted as well as it has.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron. Yes, it's held up exceptionally well. The only other oil lamp I own is also a Greek black-glazed specimen, but environmental conditions took a toll on that one. The original glaze is mostly chipped off, and what remains is oxidized:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/g...Oil_Lamp.jpg
Edited by Bob L
09/25/2021 5:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
635 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations. What a very attractive oil lamp, Bob. Another super addition to the collection. As with other pieces in your collection, not only the body, but the colour has stood the test of time.

I doubt if the black finish would have looked much different when it was first created over two thousand years ago. Superb craftsmanship.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6018 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim.
Greece
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spyros to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful piece!
Here are some similar ones found in a late 4th century burial in Pylos. Notice the small "ear", it's called "ΩΤΙΟ" in greek.
Typical of 425-400 BCE

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,024Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05