Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Three Latest Pottery Pickups

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 5,746Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2604 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a lovely piece Bob!...Another super addition.
The barnacles actually give it really nice character.
What would the approximate overall dimensions have been when in one piece?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul. Not sure about the pre-fragmented dimensions, but certainly pretty big. This fragment is, of course, just the upper section of the amphora. It's quite clear that the outward curvature of the shoulders would have continued a bit beyond the 32 cm width of this piece, prior to tapering inward toward the base. So, a perhaps couple of feet in height, maybe?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
793 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting update indeed, Bob, and the barnacles help to tell the story.

Barnacles need a flow of water bringing them food, and will have attached themselves to the neck of the amphora shortly after it first lay exposed on the sea bed or sea shore. The encrustation is fairly light indicating that it did not take long for the piece to be covered by mud and silt, so those barnacles have been dead for a very long time. It is fascinating to look at these little arthropods and see that they have not changed in two and a half thousand years.

Thanks for posting.
Learn More...
United States
24737 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty cool Bob. Another super pick-up!

I was at the Tampa Museum of Art recently and thought of this thread when I saw a graphic with names and profiles of some common types of ancient vases:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, guys. The barnacles do make the piece more interesting.

That's a helpful chart, Dave. I've got a few that are illustrated: a kantharos, oinochoe, two squat lekythoi, and fragments of amphorae. As for these Greek types, I also have a small olpe.
Learn More...
United States
23712 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pieces Bob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2022  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron.
Pillar of the Community
United States
983 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, very nice additions to your growing collection.
Quote:
...head (of Zeus?)
Not sure if it was this thread, but you were planning on getting some display cabinets. An updated group display would be great.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick update to the thread. Arrived today:

Roman
c. 3rd century AD
10.8 cm (w) x 14.6 cm (h)
(4.25" x 5.75")
Description:
Loop handle, bulbous body, flared rim, narrow base, ring foot, some mineral encrustations
Ex-Alex Stanichev, Winnetka, CA
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2604 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another lovely addition Bob
I really like its simplistic shape and one area that does stand out is that nice looking flared rim.
Congrats...
Edited by Palouche
08/19/2022 05:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Paul. I too am attracted to its simple form. That, and the low price I snagged it for!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
793 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another really nice addition to the collection, Bob. I agree with Paul regarding the simplistic shape and the flared rim. It is elegant in it's simplicity.

Would the flared rim be for decoration, or would there have been a purpose for it to be shaped in that way?

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would the flared rim be for decoration, or would there have been a purpose for it to be shaped in that way?

Good question, Jim. I've spotted other, similar rims on Roman vessels online, but have yet to see any info about their purpose. If this is a case of form following function, there must be a rationale at work here. But I don't know what it would be.

Edit:
Having given this a bit more thought, I wonder if perhaps the configuration of the rim was designed to be conducive to a cork or other type of plug/stopper. Someday I may be inclined to research this.
Edited by Bob L
08/19/2022 5:06 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuamNumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say I didn't expect to find a pottery related post in this forum, but I'm excited to see it. I collect ancient art in many forms, I have a number of similar pieces including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Asian, near and far Eastern, and pre-Columbian. I even have a small handful of genuine masterpieces (TL tested by a reputable lab of course).

May I share a few of them here?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6429 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome! Would love to see them. Best to start a new thread devoted to your collection. Looking forward to it.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 5,746Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: