Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 S Proof Jefferson Nickel Doubled Die - Unknown DDR Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2685 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  11:10 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has an obvious DDR running across much of the lower devices seeming to fade from left to right. But still at least some separation can be seen across the entire MONTICELLO and FIVE CENTS. Almost nonexistant across EPU, and one needs to look carefully at USA as it is heavily affected by MD and is distracting from the DDR.

So, I went through everything I could on VV and just can't place it. Am I missing something? As always, nickels are not my specialty and this is just something I pulled out of a bag, but as strong as it is I thought I'd be able to nail it down.

Help appreciated!

1971 S Jefferson nickel doubled die - unknown DDR

Pillar of the Community
United States
1640 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best advice I can give is to visit this site, it's the one listed by Wexler for Nickels. Not sure if you visited it yet. Here's a link to the site:

https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com...tings/cat/44

Might take a while, but you may find it there. I couldn't find a match, but since you have it in hand you might be able to find die markers for it.
Cherrypicker/Error Collector
Best Coins:
1902 Indian cent Off Center
http://goccf.com/t/376888
1972-D Lincoln Cent Major Die Break
http://goccf.com/t/376595
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello tropicalbats

nice doubling

with the pictures provided, I didnt see a match on VV and could only eliminate all of Wexler except for:
13, 20, 21, 30, 32, 35, 40, 58.

NOTE: always nice to see sharp edges... I guess expected on proof coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find with clear doubling but wonder if there was any Master Die doubling that year?
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05