Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Coin Of Unknown Attribution Dated 1675, Of Louis 14th.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3834 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This weighs 1.29 grams and has a diameter of 20 millimeters.

I am mystified as I cannot find it in numista even using the word match search.

Above the head I read "1675" and "FRAN ET NAVARR___" where I cannot decipher 3 or 4 other letters.

On the other side I read "LVDOVICVS XIIII D GRA"

To add to the confusion, the label that came with the coin declares:

" 4 Sols 1691-1700 rare reformation coin"

which makes no sense to me but might to the French coin experts.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
488 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reformation is the French term for overstrike. This coin is 4 sols "with 2 Ls" overstruck on an earlier 4 sols coin with a different design. The overstrike took place 1691-1700 but the visible date 1675 is from the host coin. The overstrike date appears below the "bust" (hard to make out), but since the overstrike is obviously not well done - many were not - it is not visible.

Whether it is rare or not depends on date and mint for the overstrike, and since they cannot really be determined, it is hard to say. Most silver and gold denominations went through a series of overstrikes during the decades following 1690. I wouldn't say this 4 sols overstrike in general is more or less rare than other overstrikes.

The Numista entry for the host coin: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7555.html

For the overstrike: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7760.html
Edited by erafjel
10/24/2020 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1504 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7555.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7760.html

If you struck on on top of the other you might get something that looked like that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3834 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel and @gincoin, thanks so much. I suspected an overstrike but did not put the pieces together!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3995 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice explanation by @erafjel, as always on all matters French

I will add this example of a reformed coin of the same era (sadly, "one that got away" as I did not bid enough). In the Duchy of Lorraine, there was also a lot of overstriking going on in the decade of the 1710s. This coin recently came up at auction, noteworthy for a few things. First, the obverse was overstruck on the reverse of a rare earlier type (because they were mostly re-used like this). Second, the date of the previous coin can be readily seen at 5:00 on the obverse (1701) not very usual that it is so clear like this on these Lorraine testons. FInally the coat of arms from the earlier coin has shown through to create the impression of a skullcap on the duke! (photo by Noble Numismatics)

Edited by tdziemia
10/24/2020 4:41 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
488 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice example of an overstrike where the host coin can still be made out, @tdziemia.

Here is one of mine, where I have both the host coin and the overstrike. The host coin has left a visible impression on the new overstruck coin.

Écu 1718 (left), overstruck in 1721 (right).

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05