Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marcus Aurelius Denarius - Limes Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 327Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2607 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:46 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a second coin from the lot I purchased, which has me wondering. Again, I got about twenty nice, authentic coins in the lot, but it looks like at least two of them are suspect.

I wasn't expecting much from this one from the auction photos, but it is a denarius, supposedly, of Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar. However, in checking the fake coins sites, I did find a link to a fake denarius of this type based upon an aureus.

Here's the link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/f...=42&pos=1426

However, this coin is definitely not struck in silver and looks more like a limes denarius. The surfaces are pot marked and rough.

It is 18 mm. in diameter and weighs 2.28 grams.

So, is this a modern fake made to look like a limes denarius (a rather strange thing to do, in my opinion), or an authentic limes based upon an aureus design?

I'm going with modern fake, but it is curious.

Thanks for your opinions.

Paul Bulgerin
Learn More...
United States
17676 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PB, the raised bumps on the surface of this coin make me think that it was cast not struck. I'm no expert on these "limes", but were they struck, or also cast?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is even more concerning than the one you linked to:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/f...&cat=0&pos=0

Link doesn't seem to be working so here's a screenshot:

Edited by Bob L
10/24/2020 4:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1095 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does one tell the difference between an ancient cast fake (so-called "limes" coins) and a modern cast fake? If it were just the patinated coin alone, I'd probably give it the benefit of doubt. Given all three, however, I don't see how one could come to any conclusion other than all three are modern fakes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2607 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does seem that they are all modern fakes. My curiosity is why a modern faker would cast it in bronze and not silver.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My curiosity is why a modern faker would cast it in bronze and not silver.

I doubt it was to prompt a seasoned collector into wondering if it's a Limes denarius. I suspect that, as with the occasional fake Greek tets we see cast or struck in base rather than precious metal, it's probably a simple matter of being marketed to the tourist (or other potential buyer) who doesn't know what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2607 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would make sense. Not as fun to think about, but it would make sense.
Paul Bulgerin
Learn More...
United States
23325 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Casting pocket under the bust along with casting spurs and the surface appearance make me believe this is a cast fake.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05