Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conder Tokens - Reference Book Recommendations?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  10:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would appreciate a few recommendations on reference works for conder tokens, who's reliable, who's affordable, who's available and who should be avoided.

Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
486 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  04:06 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been holding off hoping someone with more knowledge could help and enlighten me at the same time!

My main reference at the moment is "The Token Book, 17th 18th & 19th Century Tokens and their Values" by Paul and Bente R Withers, published by Galata in 2010. It is good and covers a lot more than just the Conder tokens, including a good section on Evasion coinage, but does not aim to be comprehensive.
D&H seems to be the master reference, but I don't know when this was last reprinted. I also have Schwer Price Guide, but that was printed in 1983 and is small with not a lot of detail.
Hopefully now someone else will chip in.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a former Conder collector, I own and have used all the books mentioned by PaddyB, but should point out that the folks at The Conder Token Thread may have more up-to-the-minute advice.

D&H remains "The Bible" on Conders, of course, and an updated edition was recently released by Bill McKivor. I'm not sure how much it costs, but I doubt there's anything out there that's more useful, comprehensive, etc.

For the ultimate in affordability, the original D&H is available for free online here.

It's 600+ pages, but you can download it to your hard drive as a PDF so you'll always have it at your fingertips.

Wash your hands, everybody!
Tom

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05