Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Done Home Silver Refining?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,277Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
92228 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just bought 35 lbs of scrap copper AT SPOT.....

Quote:
just need a smelting furnace and then there's my first bullion project.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Furnace purchased! Ordered the 5kg cast master elite propane furnace. Thinking if I can make some nice copper bars from this first haul, I can probably resell on eBay and make back most of the money I spent on the furnace. Otherwise, it was a relatively cheap material to practice on anyway.... pretty excited!
Edited by silverstash119
10/29/2020 12:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
92228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've recently come into possession of sterling flatware, candle sticks and platters. Been thinking about getting into this game as well. Been following this fellow on YouTube. A wealth of information.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sreetips

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. [youtube][/youtube] Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, hope this works . .

pdzSmGYbzqk
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4081 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm following this too Stash. Good luck keep posting!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did You get Your furnace yet? Have You had chance to play around with it yet?
I went ahead and bought one as well,but I'm going too order a smaller crusible for inquarting the gold. The 5Kg will be good for copper,but I think I would lose too much gold with one that big.
Getting ready for when I have My fume hood built. I have been making nitrate crystals in order to make My own nitric acid.I think they look really cool.

Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver, I'll bring the hot dogs!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  01:55 am  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all, I have gotten my furnace, and I plan to start experimenting with smelting copper this weekend into some ingots. I have about 70lbs that I got at a great price, so plenty to melt and plenty to use in the silver refining process as well.

I'm not close to being set up yet to refine silver, but I have acquired about a kilo of sterling that I plan on refining. I've also found a local scientific supply store where I can get a good price on nitric acid. Just need to slowly acquire some of the glassware and chemistry supplies necessary. I'll see how things go playing with the copper and the furnace for now, and will build from there over time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been ordering from these guys.https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8xu_R...da411536b7a2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cross-eyed

I have seen that page before, thinking I'm going to order my hot plate from that site. Seems to be geared toward "kid" science but it's all the same quality stuff, prices seem good. I've already ordered a 4000 ml Pyrex beaker off Amazon, maybe next week I'll order the hot plate from this site. Trying to keep up with my usual silver budget, so taking my time here...

May not be smelting this weekend. It's rainy out, plus I had to order a graphite stir rod and dross skimmer.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered their distillation outfit and 5 Pyrex beaker kit. They seem to be made of quality glass. They will go from boiling hot acid to throwing some ice into it no problem.
I also bought the stirring plate.It only measures 4.75"x4.75". A 1000ML beaker fits real nice on it,but I think it would be too small for Your 4000ML.

I still need to order some molds.Then I can start playing around with mine.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my beaker today, and just ordered a 5000ml Büchner funnel apparatus/filter paper for filtering the silver nitrate. Not a cheap hobby and will definitely take awhile to recoup the costs of all this....I'm almost $1,000 in already with everything... got most of the big items out of the way though, last big items that I'll get maybe next month will be the hot plate, couple of HDPE buckets, and some tubing.... oh, and nitric acid....maybe by early 2021 I'll be able to actually start refining...

So in other news, if anyone has sterling silver they want to part with, let me know.
Edited by silverstash119
11/17/2020 6:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
92228 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So in other news, if anyone has sterling silver they want to part with, let me know.
My wife would kill me if I sent in the silverware.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14299 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone done home silver refining?

No , but I did melt Chocolate for a bunch of different molds .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05