Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kiwi Coin Noodling, A Good Laugh And Analysis

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 5,328Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some photos from a noodle earlier in 2022. Sadly this was while my partner was in hospital and thus I lost the notes.

$2 noodle with numbers

$1 noodle

Sorry I lost the data, but these would be the $50 and $25 rolls so 25 of each coin.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moving down to the lower value coins

50 cents noodling, finding that Armistice coin was a very nice surprise, they are around $3 each on the open market. It was pretty much UNC too. My guess is some deparate collector needed some spending change recently. Well their loss is my gain!

20 and 10 cents - looks like this noodle was a better one than my last one.

Now I have to take $19.10 in change back to the bank

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
06/27/2022 06:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
568 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1990 is the earliest coin you can find. That's sad.

Quote:
Now I have to take $19.10 in change back to the bank

Today I took $1400 in coins back to the bank.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know that our large 5c to 50c were demonitised in 2006 and are now illegal. It seems 501s are not the only unwanted illegals in your country from ours.

1990 was the year our $1 and $2 were introduced, 2006 for the smaller coins.

If anything, it was because these coins were so worthless and people complained about their size. Something that has not hit Australia yet, where you guys in my opinion are heaving under the weight of useless and worthless cents coins.

I mean a 50 cent weighs 16 grams, but what can you actually buy with it?

All of the Pacific Islands except the French ones have switched to smaller steel coins like New Zealand.

Fiji 2009, Samoa 2011, Cooks 2015, Tonga 2015, PNG 2010s, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu recently and apparently the French places are thinking of it.

Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore also have smaller steel coins now too - so what is holding back Australia and its hanging on to heavy 1960s coinage based on a 206 year old template?

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
793 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so what is holding back Australia and its hanging on to heavy 1960s coinage based on a 206 year old template?

Nothing will change whilst QE2 is there,big changes in Oz. Coins/Notes when Charles is the Monarch but to what extent hasn't been revealed yet,if Labor is still in Govt. then they will be massive.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
568 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You know that our large 5c to 50c were demonitised in 2006 and are now illegal.

Illegal Well it looks like I'm gonna be doin' some serious jail time because I've got buckets of them.

Quote:
All of the Pacific Islands except the French ones have switched to smaller steel coins like New Zealand.

What a sad situation. I loved collecting the older style coins from these countries but I have lost interest since they switched. IMO steel coins have very little appeal.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh 3M, you are a scream, illegal to spend them - not own them. If all the old coins were illegal, we would be in deep doodoo!

As for Charles and Camilla being our rulers - I don't think so

I love COINS!!!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10681 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for Charles and Camilla being our rulers - I don't think so

You have far fewer coins to collect from circulation than we do in the UK. Here's a link to a similar UK coin 'noodle' I'm currently engaged in!
http://goccf.com/t/424363
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, it seems this noodling bug is going around. Machinmachinman has done such a great job with Australia.

In the realms of Kiwi/Aussie rivalry - the Aussies have us licked here, NZ coins in circulation are way too easy to noodle - Australia is not, but its more fun.

The only 3 current circulation pieces that present any difficulty at all are.

1. 1997 $2 coins
2. 2015 Anzac 50 cent coin
3. 2018 Armistice 50 cent coin

And the last 2 are easily brought off Trade Me or Ebay.

More challenging would be finding any pre 2010 $1 or $2 in AU or UNC condition!!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1221 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You have far fewer coins to collect from circulation than we do in the UK. Here's a link to a similar UK coin 'noodle' I'm currently engaged in!

I'm heading to the UK in 2023 and would love to do some noodling but think I'm stymied by the lack of a bricks and mortar bank account. Finding rocking horse poo will be easier than getting a bank account with which I can get coins. I'm hoping to wangle a friend to put my name on the holiday villa TV license but there's now talk of scrapping the TV license. Any ideas on how to get bulk coins at cost price?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4112 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DG - great, but that reply probably belongs in NumisRobs thread.

Can't believe the Brits still have TV licences! We scrapped them in 1999, when it got the point it cost more to chase up the non payers than the value of the licence fee.

Maybe that is why the British programmes are all like 58 - 59 minutes long per hour, where ours are 36 - 42 minutes per hour due to 4 minute long ad breaks every 10 minutes, opening and closing songs, programme trailers and mostly with American and Australian programmes - sections of them promoting whats on and repeating stuff over and over.

The actual meat of a 1 hour programme can be as little as 23 minutes!

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When my brother-in-law first told me about the TV licenses I thought he was pulling my leg, but I later received conformation of their existence from one of my UK customers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1221 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PT - I never knew you had TV licenses in NZ.
I read somewhere that in the UK auntie is broadcasting too many negative articles and news about the tories and BJ in particular so the proposed scrapping of the TV license would effectively shut auntie down. True or not?

I agree with the amount of original content in a 1 hour show getting less and less although we haven't yet reached the heights (or lows) of the USA. Personally, bar the odd sporting event, I haven't watched free to air TV for 15+ years. It was interesting during the last federal election reading about the political advertising. The Liberals/Nationals supposedly have on older voter base so channeled advertising money into TV whereas Labor had younger supporters so spent their money on Youtube ads and other internet based services. By not watching free to air and using a VPN, I pretty well managed to avoid all political dribble (I mean advertising).

Fun fact - If you love the old Muppet series, get the German release so you will get more bang for your buck. The creators had to make more Muppet material for German TV because they had less ads per time slot compared to USA.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
793 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can't believe the Brits still have TV licences! We scrapped them in 1999, when it got the point it cost more to chase up the non payers than the value of the licence fee.

My Niece is a Journo. and she said that was around the time Bureacrats in Aust. dug up legislation to re-introduce TV/Radio licenses and they also had a look at trying to slug the new technology of mobile Phones.
It was all dumped by Howard as he had his GST baby to introduce but shows,that like Death Duties, these taxes are never forgotten when a Govt. is chasing money.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1221 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My Niece is a Journo. and she said that was around the time Bureacrats in Aust. dug up legislation to re-introduce TV/Radio licenses and they also had a look at trying to slug the new technology of mobile Phones.
It was all dumped by Howard as he had his GST baby to introduce but shows,that like Death Duties, these taxes are never forgotten when a Govt. is chasing money.

Ha ha.. Remember in 2007 there was a rumour that the government wanted to introduce a tax on rain water? It still annoys me that our fuel includes an excise component and then GST that includes the excise. Doesn't matter how much the bureaucrats try to say that the excise is not a tax, it is. So we pay a tax on a tax every time we pump fuel.
I reckon increasing the GST will be the next major 'tax reform'.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 5,328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: