Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kiwi Coin Noodling, A Good Laugh And Analysis

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 6,977Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some question answering time (I addressed the one roll thing in an earlier)

Hoosier - there are no rare dates for these coins. The 1997 $2 coin is scarce, but not really worth more than maybe $10 on a good day. The wide date 2014 20 cents is less common, but not rare and any pre 2015 coin in UNC would be scarce, but again the resale market is minimal.

This exercise is more for fun than any form of financial gain.

Machinmachinman - Yes I am skint, I earn about $400 a week from my part time job and pay $250 just on household expenses, the rest goes on my creditcard - my coin purchases go off it. Because I am addicted to pokie machines, I try not to have cash on me too much.

Not all of us can afford to buy $2000 worth of coins - thats 2 months money for me. I am working class and of colour so will never be showing bling bling gold coins. Many of my nice coins are brought on credit and you may have noticed the most I spend on a coin now is around $100 rather than $500 in the past. I have also sold a few things this year, which has given me more money and got a decent welfare payment.

Realistically I am probably living outside my means, but its boredom and frustration than anything else - my partner is dying and my job sucks. Coins are one of my few pleasures along with gambling. The hours of my job ensure any social life is basically limited.

Also I get the coins from machine, banks here don't dispense cash, you get one teller who usually types away on a computer. Half the time the machine will be out of one or more denominations and as I stated a few posts back, shops need the coins for their floats and won't appreciate me clearing the machine out for noodling. Banking the coins is a hassle too, half the time the machine won't accept coin deposits - or half the coins will be rejected and its a slow and thankless process.

Plus also there are so few interesting coins, its pointless.

The start of this thread I got lucky as a friend had $500 worth of change, but now he is on a pension and has almost none.

I hope that answers your question, and again who is to blame for this lack of noodling pleasure - GREEDY Australian owned banks.

Seriously most banks now have small "drop in" banking hubs and 3 or 4 ATMs and the hours are like 10 - 2 on 2 days of the week, they used Covid as an excuse to shut it down more (It was only 9 - 4,30 Monday to Friday before Covid) and encourage you to do everything online. Aussie owned banks funnelled $10 billion of profit out of New Zealand last year.

The 2 New Zealand owned banks made almost none. One is in Taranaki province only and the other one is Kiwibank which is government owned and has no branches because of the post office deregulation, so 99% of us use the big 4 Aussie banks - BNZ, ANZ, Westpac and ASB (Auckland Savings Bank) which is owned by Commonwealth Bank of Australia. The rest are credit unions and things like Rabobank, which really are credit clubs that exist on loan sharking (Something I am against).

Not to be rude, but these Australian banks see New Zealand operations as a cash raising farm and nothing more.

Edited by Princetane
09/26/2022 2:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11339 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seriously most banks now have small "drop in" banking hubs and 3 or 4 ATMs and the hours are like 10 - 2 on 2 days of the week, they used Covid as an excuse to shut it down more (It was only 9 - 4,30 Monday to Friday before Covid) and encourage you to do everything online.

Unfortunately much the same thing is happening in the UK. My home town (population around 20,000 when you add adjoining villages) had four banks, two building societies and a main Post Office a few years ago. Now there's just one building society (who won't issue coins unless you've got an account there and limit you to a maximum of five bags of any denomination per day - depositing or withdrawing) and a tiny post office counter inside a grocery store.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
805 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the most I spend on a coin now is around $100

I don't think I've ever spent that much on a single coin. Maybe that's why your collection is so much more impressive than mine. I balk at paying the "market price" for coins.

My most valuable coins are the 5 mule dollars and the red poppy I found whilst noodling. The good thing about noodling is you are not really "spending" your money, you are just moving it around. I need to noodle bulk coin, otherwise the fun is over too quickly.

Luckily here in Australia it's not hard to find a bank that will "happily" give you bulk bags of $100 (5c-20c), $200 (50c), $500 ($1) or $2000 ($2).

Yes, dumping the coins can sometimes be a hassle.
Edited by MachinMachinMan
09/26/2022 10:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And that is thing! Even with my sob stories, the noodling is really an aside. Banks get suspicious here, I have to wait a few days at least to return to unwanted coins and mostly at night after work.

My main thrust is the classic British and Australian silver coins, noodling is just a supplement the part of the collection where I can "play" with the coins and also to provide examples to 2 or 3 people who swap with me including Triggersmob and Redlock.

Also Australia, you have 56 years of coins to sort through and literally hundreds of commems and NCLT that can turn up in change. Here in NZ we have 5 denominations and less than 65 total different coins you can find over 32 years ($1 and $2, but many years had no coins) and 16 years for the cents.

I mean If I had $2000 of kiwi coins to noodle, I would likely fall asleep and have Jenga style piles of most dates and types and my reward may be 1 or 2 1997 $2 coins. You noodle $2000 of coins you get things like 1985 50 cent pieces, NCLT dollars and stuff that is only supposed to be NCLT. Our 2 commemorative 50 cent coins hardly ever turn up, out of all my noodles, I found 1 Armistice 50 cent piece.

Its like comparing a pile of cherries with 2 potatoes.
Edited by Princetane
09/27/2022 04:31 am
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally I am sure by now, you all know judging by my photography skills, general illiteracy and everything else - if its not a halfcrown or anything else from 1843, its gonna be low rent.

Rupaul has Drag on a Dime, Tane has noodling on a dime.

That is why I added the laugh part, because even I know most people who noodle buy more than one roll.

Still I will keep buying rolls and noodling them, so I can get fresh pieces for myself and other people and also view the trends of date distribution in our change over time. I am already hedging bets on when our first "Charlies" arrive. Basically keep your eyes peeled for more el cheapo noodling here.

Finally 90% of my coin collecting focus and budget goes on British and Australian coins minted between 1816 and 1946. 9% is being devoted to that How far back we go thread (Tane's Aussie coin history is in full flow) and 1% to this.
Edited by Princetane
09/27/2022 04:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
787 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane a friend of mine gave me a few New Zealand coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
787 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 x 2014 two dollar, 1 x 2015 one dollar, 2 x 2016 50 cent,
1 x 2009 50 cent and 1 x 2006 50 cent making collection just by coins in circulation and given coins.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 6,977Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: