Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Storage Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 938Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys! I have been using a Sentry Fire Safe for over 5 years for coin storage. These safes are notorious for having moisture problems. However I have never had such issues; I air out my safe once per week and use 40 grams of silica gel.

But I have become kind of paranoid about moisture and have moved all my coins out of the safe. I now keep them in Sterilite PVC-free plastic storage bins. I was also running out of space in my safe. My collection value does not exceed $2,000. Do you think a safe is really necessary for my coins? I keep the storage bins, along with albums and slab boxes, on a shelf in my closet.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18425 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a moist environment, you may have more of a problem with risk of rust to the springs in the lock,
than the threat to the coins themselves.

Is there a possibility that you can move your safe to a less moist environment within your dwelling?
Still use your safe, just put you coins in clip lock polyethylene bags size to meet your own requirements.
Just include small packets of silica gel in the cliplock bags.

Just make sure that the lock mechanism is regularly. lubricated with WD40 or similar, to inhibit rust of the springs.

My safe is very small, and so only the most valuable coins are stored in it.
The vast bulk of my collection is a working collection, often referred to, and thus a safe for me presents some inconveniences
Edited by sel_69l
11/02/2020 04:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4643 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you think a safe is really necessary for my coins?

Only you can determine that. To some people, $2,000 invested in a hobby is an enormous amount, and they want the peace of mind to know it is safe.

To others, it may just be another possession, worth far less than other things they have lying around around the house (jewelry, electronics, antiques, etc.)

I like what @sel said about his approach
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My safe is already in a dry environment. The moisture comes from the insulation inside the safe. Sentry Safes have a concrete insulation that acts as a sponge for water vapor. this insulation releases moisture in a fire to cool the interior. Under normal use, the insulation can leach out some moisture. The safe is also air-tight, so moisture from the outside can get trapped inside the confined space of the safe.

It doesn't matter how dry the environment is that you store the safe in, you still have to be careful about moisture. As I said, I have not had issues, I've just become somewhat paranoid recently.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The topic of using safes for coins has come up many times. I dislike the use of any safes due to they really are not intended to protect coins from humidity. Also, during a fire they get hot and tend to melt anything plastic.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
568 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you regularly air them out and use silica packs that you reactivate when needed, you should be fine. If you stay in this hobby, the value of your collection may grow substantially as you add things. To me, safes provide more piece of mind than having your collection out in the "open", but provide a lot more accessibility than at a bank safety deposit box.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My safe is certified to protect cds and dvds, if that means anything.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's a CD?
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's a CD?

Compact Disc. You must still be using 8 tracks!

Quote:

I think that depends on your neighborhood.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Certificate of Deposit?

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4157 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Depends upon your family. Usually loose lips sink ships.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large box type desiccants are available for your safe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  05:17 am  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought a Sentry fire and waterproof safe. About 2.4 cubic ft interior capacity and combination lock. I love it.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you have a variety of storage methods in mind - I've been really impressed with corrosive-resistant bags + silica gel packets, kept in a locked room. Peace of mind is key for whatever you own :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 938Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New