Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Mexico 1841 8 Reales ?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,042Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to figure out what this is, and if it is worth keeping, or should I send it back. Paid $25.50

Better photos now that I am home from work. Weighs 26.5 grams
Pings like 40% or 50% omce I did some comparisons with some Canadian dollars I had handy... very similar.

ttsDNaJWx7M
Pillar of the Community
United States
5286 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
windweaver77 The coin you have is a relatively common normally white metal counterfeit. Nice condition for the type and at the price you paid a very good buy.

I own 12 examples of this type and my average purchase price was $29 over a period from 2000 to 2015. Yours is generally superior to the examples I have and only one of mine grades higher.

There are two main varieties one is Coin axis and the other medal. I own 6 of each type. I have one example struck in copper and several with cancellations and tests consistent with contemporary circulation. The style of the eagle has parallels with other CCC types.

If you are not interested in counterfeits let me know.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it is a contemporary fake? That's pretty cool. About when you think it was made?

It is non-magnetic whatever it is. It sounds like 40% or 50% silver on a ping. But I have no idea what white metal sounds like.

It's pretty cool if it is contemporary I'll probably keep it. If not I'll get a refund.

Thanks for the reply Swamper Bob. I wish I knew how to quote in this forum.

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alignment is coin btw.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add windweaver77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am just guessing here.

Contemporary
Counterfeit
Coinage

On that CCC, sorry about the silly question above if that is the case.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1128 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I wish I knew how to quote in this forum.

Insert the text 'quote' in square brackets. Paste the text you want to quote. Finish by inserting the text '/quote' in a second set of square brackets.

Edited by David Graham
12/01/2021 4:35 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,042Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: