Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipments From Europe?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 604Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  08:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cjh5801 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just had an eBay purchase for an 1806 coin cancelled and received a refund from a dealer in Italy who said that there was a new law that prohibited him from sending pre-1950 items to non-European countries. Sounds odd to me, but I was getting cold feet anyway so no worries there. But does such a law exist or was I just being snowed (i.e. misled)?

Clark

Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there is a ban on the export of "ancient art" from Italy to ex-EU.

https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/...-italy-dont/

Quote:
Since 2001, the US has restricted the importation of ancient art and artifacts from Italy. This ban applies to US collectors and art and coin dealers as well as to arts institutions such as museums.

https://culturalpropertynews.org/it...ded-to-2025/
Edited by NumisEd
11/11/2020 12:36 pm
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjh5801 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dieuwer. I also collect ancient Roman coins, and was aware of the ban for those, but as I mentioned this particular coin was minted in 1806, and the dealer said the "new law" applied to items manufactured prior to 1950. The MOU wouldn't seem to apply.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18360 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you still wish to bid on pre 1950 coins from Italy then
go to leading internationally recognized public auction websites.
At least, there is a better chance that the coins would be genuine, although the items offered may be well up market and fees higher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly the Italian antiquity laws have applied to medieval and Renaissance coins, as well as ancients for a long time, as I have had shipments held up for several months while the seller (usually a large auction house) went through the paperwork to provide the required "export license.".

But 1950 is a bit surprising. I have inquired recently of an Italian seller on eBay about an 18th century Italian coin, and was not told there was any problem to sell to an American.
Edited by tdziemia
11/12/2020 08:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18360 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a semi fixed supply of ancient and medieval material, the prices may well go up in the medium term, at least.
I feel that European Governments will still release a limited supply of approved national Heritage coins onto international markets, if the profit motive is there.

The U.S. Government may well follow this policy as well, for their own historically significant early coinage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4567 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won a couple of medieval Italian coins in November at an auction held in Italy.

No mention of any problem to send the coins to the U.S., only of the process to obtain the export license, which takes a month or two, but this has always been the case in recent years.

I think your Italian seller just didn't want to go through this process.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05