Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kiwi Large Dollar Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
602 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  3:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am wondering if there were any Kiwi large dollars that were not available as part of the year sets.

Am suspecting Tane will know the answer.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my thread David (Since you love calling me by my name )

http://goccf.com/t/380477&whichpage=3

But to reiterate

These coins are

1970 Cook Islands (Shows James Cook), some call this a Cook Islands coin, but they did not get their own currency until 1972, and they used Kiwi before then. Standard 1970 is Mt Cook.

1974 NZ Day, this coin shows the Kotuku (Great Egret) in flight similar to the $2 coin. It was issued separate in Standard and Polished forms. The polished coin is scarce but not silver, the Commonwealth games dollar was the set coin and its proof version is silver.

1983 - Royal Visit Charles and Di, this was sold separately as Proof and Uncirculated condition. Here's my proof one. Standard 1983 set coin was 50 years of Coinage

1986 Royal Visit - Queen Elizabeth, as above in silver proof and uncirculated, with the plastic sleeve

Its the one in the bright red case. Standard 1986 was the Kakapo (Parrot)

Also 1989 they issued 4 separate dollar coins for the Commonwealth games, showing Swimming, Athletics, Gymnast and Weightlifter, if you bought a standard set you got one of the 4 and could buy them separately or as a proof set of 4 silver coins.

1990 also had a one off set of the "150th anniversary" which had the 5c to $1 in new designs, the dollar was also sold separately and this was counter to the small size $1 of 1990 and large $5 Anzac coin of that year.

Hope that helps and wish my coins would hurry up and arrive, even Ralf's coins have arrived!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
11/11/2020 8:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18360 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a standard Day Dollar, rescued from a junk bin perhaps more than 30 years ago.

Never seen a polished example.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
602 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In my thread David (Since you love calling me by my name )

http://goccf.com/t/380477&whichpage=3

Thanks, I had forgotten at the time about your great post. I see individual dollars for sale from time to time but am also purchasing sets so didn't want to end up doubling up. Was there a particular sport issued in the 1989 set or was it random?

Re Using your name. Being part of your username I did not think it would be inappropriate. I apologise. It is a nice name with a nice etymology.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I got you confused with Triggersmob who calls me Tane all the time.

Seriously people, the only time I get called Tane was by my parents and it came before, usually "Did you do this" if you get what I mean. And usually a boot in the behind followed (The way of compassionate caring and not beating your kids only reached working class NZ in the 1990s, I grew up in the 1980s).

The Prince part is added due to my obsession with the Purple Rain singer.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
11/11/2020 11:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
602 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I think me calling you Tane may well be a case of Monkey See Monkey Do having seen Tiggersmob's posts.

Quote:

Seriously people, the only time I get called Tane was by my parents and it came before, usually "Did you do this" if you get what I mean. And usually a boot in the behind followed (The way of compassionate caring and not beating your kids only reached working class NZ in the 1990s, I grew up in the 1980s).

Ditto for Oz as well although the boot was sometimes more desirable than other outcomes.

Quote:

The Prince part is added due to my obsession with the Purple Rain singer.

A great loss with his passing. I still remember as a youngster how Dodgem car operators played 1999 a lot so I still associate that song with dodgem cars.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2919 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Sorry mate, is there another name you would prefer?

My name is Stephen, not Steve, but only my Mum calls me that. :)

Quote:
even Ralf's coins have arrived!

That was quick. I still haven't seen the coins from you yet. :(

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
prince, pt or mate is fine!

Sorry about your coins, NZ Post is really bad and I can swear they were posted on Tuesday October 27th. I mean yesterday they delivered Ralfs letter at 5.45pm and the deliverer was a slatternly looking Pasifika girl who was not even wearing a uniform.

NZ Post is part of the reason I don't really like swaps and trading, but I have made some exceptions. Even though its sent airmail, they don't track it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of you have given me impetus to start on the post 1990 commems though!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2919 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
prince, pt or mate is fine!

Ok, got it, mate. :)

Quote:
I mean yesterday they delivered Ralfs letter at 5.45pm

That was quick and having traded with Ralf many times, I know you will love what he sends.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin club auction the other night I missed out on a load of silver and uncirculated sets, but no one wanted the large dollaz.

Here is the 2 1974 coins

1974 - Commonwealth games (500k!) this coin was in the sets
1974 - NZ Day (50k) only sold as a loose dollar, both uncirculated (Like this) and Polished (In a case but still cupronickel).

1983 and 1986 coins (Apologies as image cuts off 1986 bottom cases)

1983 Visit of Charles and Di (Separate coin), 50th anniversary of Coinage (Set coin)

1986 Kakapo (Sad parrot), set coin and 1986 QE2 Royal Visit, sold separately - this was the visit of the Queen in which she was egged by a Maori activist (Disgraceful and shameful).

These are Uncirculated versions, all of them were issued as sterling silver coins too in ring boxes (Like my 1983 above).

1970 also had a second dollar, the Cook Islands, I don't have this as its scarce.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2460 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tane has a New Year's treat for you, he got a famous Cook Islands dollar from 1970. Here is what it looks like.

Again the Captain Cook Endeavour theme dominates.

In 1970 the Cook Islands was in free Association with New Zealand having gained this status in 1965, they still used NZ currency but had a contract with Finnbarr Kennie to print mountains of Wallpaper stamps.

Only in 1972 did they get their own coinage - then and now tied to the New Zealand dollar. Some notes are local but Kiwi money is used there.

Called the Cook Islands dollar as it was issued for them and shows discovery of the Islands in 1770 by Cook.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tane has a New Year's treat for you, he got a famous Cook Islands dollar from 1970. Here is what it looks like.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
602 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Cook Dollar PT!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05