Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Coin Hologram Issue

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 2,837Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
Canada
9470 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to the 'mirror' and 'matte' 1c coins from the 1960s in the pliofilm proof-like sets? Could what you are seeing be the sets with lacquered 1c coins? I wrote an article on this, in the CN Journal a few years ago.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hologram canadian quarter.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same coin different lights.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
image taken with white light.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same coin Sony macro lens 90mm.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa I bet that coin of yours on the right. will has a layer of silver on the top of that coin. same as this 1963 copper has on it a layer of silver.
Learn More...
Canada
9470 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No - it has a layer of lacquer, applied to the coin after the strike. It is a common Proof-like strike, some sets were lacquered, and some were not.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really sorry I have to repeat this post, but........
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to help by posting the definition of 'hologram' but the word is NOT IN my 2006 Webster's Dictionary. There is nothing between 'holocaust' and 'holstein'. I might need a newer dictionary. ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the top of this quarter is plastic. here is a image of the caribou eye. this is plastic.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is and image of another quarter just found. I was going through rolls of quarters finally found another one. here is an image of the obverse. the queens eye is lined with a very fine black film. when one would not think it possible. the coins is strike doubted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3325 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, Rocky, but I still don't see anything that has to do with silver, plastic or holograms. All I see are what has been suggested by others on here. What I think you are seeing are proof-like finishes vs matte finishes and lacquer coating on some of them, sometimes with very excessive lighting and magnification. I know you search hard to try to find new, unknown varieties or errors, but other folks here just don't see things the way that you envision.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2007 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner sorry there is no more I can do. take care and have a great one. I will keep searching. keep up the good work
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rocky,

For sure the lines you are seeing on your coins is not holograms.
Hologram is an optical feature based on micro grooves to diffract light. The line pitch is in the orders of microns.
Modern banknotes have holograms as security features.
Some Proof Mint Coins have holograms.

In your coins, I guess the parallel lines are more a die polishing signature.
Edited by SP67
12/04/2020 11:11 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 2,837Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05