Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 51 St State Proof Copy - Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 360Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  12:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I did a quick search and found this thread with Fuzzy's post...

http://goccf.com/t/318793&whichpage=3#2741757

I just found this in a coinstar ejection shoot. Man, it sure does look like a real proof coin! Stamped copy, no mint mark or IGWT. The edge looks silver.

Where do these things come from?

Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find. Looks like it may have been five years before the 2009 DC & Territory quarters were issued.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting find. Looks like it may have been five years before the 2009 DC & Territory quarters were issued.

I'm totally lost with this thing. Should I start another thread? It looks like silver and weighs (6.6gm) like silver but it doesn't sound like the other normal silver circulated quarters when I bounce it off the counter top.

I see one like Fussy's but this one doesn't have a mint mark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Silve...047675.l2557

Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without any marking indicating purity, I would assume it is silver plated at best.

I can split this into its own topic if you you would like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes please. Thanks Buck!
Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5061 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the following link for the backstory on the Washington, DC and Puerto Rico novelty "quarters." Good info provided!

Daniel Carr Novelty Quarters

(You'll need to scroll the page down a bit.)

Based on the edge image provided (and the specs on Daniel Carr's web site), the coin shown by the OP is silver-plated not solid silver.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for moving this Buck!
Edited by MOS0239
11/20/2020 09:17 am
Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, commems you da man!!

This spells it out. Thanks for that link!! !!

Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

I suspected a real silver one would have the fineness on it somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspected a real silver one would have the fineness on it somewhere.

No, nowhere at all on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's a copy, not legal tender? That's why the CoinStar spit it out?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5061 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, it's not a copy as it does not duplicate an actual coin. I realize that "COPY" is stamped into the obverse, but that was done to help prevent folks from trying to use the piece as a real quarter - it's design fits in with other quarters of the Statehood program, so some could be confused by it.

Regarding CoinStar rejecting it - the machine did not recognize the medal's magnetic signature (i.e., it did not match that of a valid US coin) and so the sorting mechanism rejected it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, thanks very much commems! !
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05