Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Pt - 1969 Nz 50c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 107Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
384 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  01:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why does the 1969 50c piece have a separate KM number to the other coins in this series? From what I can see they both have the same obverse and reverse (except for date), same weight and diameter. What am I missing?

Also I bought a bunch of Kiwi shrapnel a while back knowing that I had very little post 2006 coinage (including PT's favourite 20c pieces). I assumed this would give me a good spread of years only to discover (at least for the 20c) that there were only limited mintage years for circulation. Oh well, at least I got both the 2014 date varieties.

Edited by David Graham
11/21/2020 01:37 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1634 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 2 types of the 50 cent, the regular one and the 1969 one.

That year was the Captain Cook bicentenary and the special $1 coin and 50 cent coin had inscribed edges. As the coin alreeady showed the endeavour, it was thought prudent to add this as an extra gimmick.

1969 Specimen set.

The edges were inscribed "Cook Bi Centenary 1769 - 1969" and 100k were issued 50k each in UNC and Polished form.

The other 50 cent coins had the standed mixed milled and plain edge.

I can send you a Uncirculated one in my swap if you like (And my swaps are landing as Redlock got his coins today)
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Australia
384 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane - thanks for the info. I didn't even think about the rim. Although I have seen markings on the rim of foreign coins this is the first time I've come across it in Aus and NZ. I have yet to enter my dollar coins so will keep an eye out as well.

Thanks for the offer but I do have a 1969 set so all good. Still have to finish the 50s and dollars plus waiting for some coin capsules to hold the 10c pieces then I'm up to date with my Kiwi decimal coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 107Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 9.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05