Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Next For The Quarters?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 97 / Views: 3,533Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
600 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Designs always look better in actual engraved form.

Let's just hope this will be the case here too.
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot think of any recent design that looked worse when struck, but that is not to say I have always been impressed with the final result.

With this design, the only thing that bothers me is having "Crossing the Delaware" on it. It would be better to assume most people would know what was being depicted and the rest would be encouraged to ask the question or look it up.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(how times change... I had to learn things like and BFF, but knew what KISS and SNAFU meant...)
Pillar of the Community
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wulffy11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My issue with the design that Conder101 posted is the typefaces. I don't mind the image at all. Having three different typefaces on the reverse is just atrocious. They could at least make it uniform like the 2009 cent reverses. Even though the 2009 cents will always look to me like having a default typeface, I digress.
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My issue with the design that Conder101 posted is the typefaces.
I concur. I hope it is something that gets changed when engraving occurs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17159 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Designs always look better in actual engraved form. I am seldom impressed with the artwork.

For me it is always the other way round. The artists rendition usually looks better because of the use of shading to give depth and highlights which don't translate to the single color low relief reality of the coin.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3942 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep It Simple Sweetie = KISS

That is what an ex-boss used to prefer, rather than have the more usual word for the second S.
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The artists rendition usually looks better because of the use of shading to give depth and highlights which don't translate to the single color low relief reality of the coin.
That is why I am not impressed. No modern coin looks like that. Even in high relief (the Liberty medals) they are nothing like how I see them in hand. Art is subjective, so to each their own.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20016 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would hope it's time to change all the present Presidents on all out coins. Imagine all the confusion with a Lincoln Quarter or a Jefferson Cent or a Susan Anthony Nickel.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Imagine all the confusion with a Lincoln Quarter or a Jefferson Cent or a Susan Anthony Nickel.

A return to Liberty is always a worthy idea to float out there.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My issue with the design that Conder101 posted is the typefaces. I don't mind the image at all. Having three different typefaces on the reverse is just atrocious. They could at least make it uniform like the 2009 cent reverses. Even though the 2009 cents will always look to me like having a default typeface, I digress.

As I posted here http://goccf.com/t/387448 with respect to the 2021 Silver Eagle design, I, too, find the Mint's recent lack of interest in typography to be appalling. Why mix serif and sans-serif fonts on the same coin? At this rate, we might as well be using Comic Sans... ...which I could see as a realistic possibility if we end up with "Youth Sports" coins. (Just to be clear, if you're from the Mint and reading this, please don't actually do this...)
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Mint can have the tiniest of excuses for issuing a new series of reverses into circulation. Not a new trend.
Roman coins are a bit like that, with their many personifications and commemorations. Keeps the coinage interesting and before the Public.
Also increases the possibility of kids acquiring an interest in coins, all collected at face value. Therein may be your new generation of numistmastists. That's how I started out into coins as a kid.

Provided that they are all struck for circulation.

I must admit: Although I have a rather fancy collection of significant value, I still collect new designs of coins out of my pocket change. Just for fun.

I agree in principle. We definitely need to inspire a new generation of coin collectors. After all, if the demand drops, not only will everyone's collections be worth much less--but we'll also eliminate the incentives for preservation of important historic artifacts. From the perspective of many millennials (I know because I'm a millennial myself, though a misfit in this generation), melting down, say, a 1925 Stone Mountain half (or anything with Columbus on it) both: (a) destroys something racist, and (b) gives one enough silver value to go buy an avocado toast. I'd prefer not to see that happen.

I do think there's a balance that the Mint could achieve here, though--and a way to appeal to both older and younger collectors, and both those seeking interesting pieces and those seeking value. I think the mint should:

1. Nearly always have multiple themed reverses on something, but alternate which coin they are found on. That way, there aren't 3,642 different instances of quarters but only 100 different instances of dimes. And that way, if one commits to, say, collecting quarters, one is rewarded when the series is done for having a finished set--rather than nagged into collecting another series to keep the collection up to date.

2. Actually make each series interesting and worthwhile. State Quarters were novel, interesting, and had very different designs that people looked forward to seeing. ATB, while an interesting subject matter, has designs that look quite similar to each other despite depicting very different parks--since color and depth aren't possible on coins. Youth sports quarters or animals, on the other hand... Ugh.

3. Use the McDonald's Monopoly approach, in which for each set on the board, two pieces are common and one is rare. For instance:

- Release three designs per year.
- Make the mintage on two of them 1 billion each.
- Make the mintage on the third 10 million.

That way, both kids/casual collectors and roll hunters/serious collectors can have something to strive for--with the first looking for good examples of the common coins, and the second seeking any examples of the rare ones. That way, it increases the challenge of completing a set (but leaves open the possibility of completing an "easy" set) while also giving a more serious collector hope that the collection that they labored so hard to put together may actually be worth something some day (an incentive, which, in my view, is limited when every non-MS-68 piece is worth exactly 25c).
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At this rate, we might as well be using Comic Sans.
Nailed it!

Quote:
Just to be clear, if you're from the Mint and reading this, please don't actually do this
Yes, please, as it was clearly a joke. If you do not realize that Comic Sans is a bad, then you really need to just stay off the internet.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17159 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Mint can have the tiniest of excuses for issuing a new series of reverses into circulation. Not a new trend.

The Mint doesn't make those decisions. They can only produce what Congress orders. They may have some input or suggestions but it isn't their decision.
Gary Schmidt
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KyzerSosa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
why they chose to italicize E PLURIBUS UNUM, I will NEVER know...

that the angle of the E matches more, George's hat? perhaps, but...eww.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 97 / Views: 3,533Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05