Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Know About This 1909 VDB?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 512Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like the polishing of vdb was incomplete on this die. Is this common or has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any info

Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a hit to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mos0239. I believe this is uncirculated and this doesn't look like a contact mark to me. I'm seeing polishing lines but I could be wrong
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47287 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well this one was damage post strike. Note the altered rim/field area. Keep in mind the big change over year coins of all denominations, a lot of these are save each time this happens. So light circulation, damaged the coin. Note the last image. Note the outside edge/rim on that image. It looks like the coin was dropped, altering the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17583 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't see any disturbance to the patina in the area of VDB.
Post mint little hit in the wrong place.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. The indent you're looking at is my glove covering the rim. The polishing lines are also inside the rim from left wheat stem to the right one. It does look hit on the rim but that doesn't fully explain the lines inside the rim
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're holding it with a black glove? Put the coin on a flat surface. Take your pictures directly over the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First two photos are free of obstruction
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47287 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it still looks like the rim took a hit there and altered the V.D.B. (There will be dots between these initials on that year, also on the 1918-1934 cents also having the dots on the shoulder that are incuse on that area. The 1935 cents forward, don't have the dots between the devices of VDB and are also incuse on the coin) {raised on the die. sometimes they get polished off the die, if isolated polishing happens on that area of the die.}
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. Just wanted to see if this was something with the vdb being polished off that year
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47287 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They pulled the dies. Created new dies without the V.D.B. added to them. They were playing in catch up that year. Because of the new design, then they removed the initialed dies, then they had to play catch up as everyone want one of the new design. (probably not considering at that time, the initials would be worth more money. We now know how true that is today.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sel 69l
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52011 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great background by Dr. coop as always.
Pillar of the Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just not sure if this is all PMD. I appreciate all the help
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52011 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What other explanation could there be?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 512Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05