Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cool Lincoln Roll Finds (From Bank Rolls) - Post Yours!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14,209 / Views: 1,044,914Next Topic
Page: of 948
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2008  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just finished a box. Along with the assortment of reds from the 60s and 70s, found these wheats:

Nice box!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this 58D, the toning is very attactive in hand:

Found this 1936, it had a huge wad of gummy stuff on the reverse, couldn't stand that so to the sink it went! LOL It must have been on there for at least 50 years! It was nice and red underneath:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2008  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to add that I picked up a fresh box today and in just the first 5 rolls I got 4 Wheats! Also got 3 nice BU 80's! So far, this box is awesome.

I'm starting to think people are emptying out their coin jars because they need the money. I got a 64D silver dime back in change the other day too!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Texas collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very novice question for you: I search a few rolls of cents every time I go to the bank, but if I wanted to get a box, do they have them laying around? Or do they have to be ordered?
Also, when you finish a box, do you fill up the rolls and return the whole box to your "dump bank" or do you return them a few rolls at a time?

Thanks
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennehChaos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Texas- depends on the bank. Some banks will give you a box, some banks will be better able to help if you set up a standing order to get a box every week (so they don't have to worry about running out of change for their retail customers), some banks will bust your chops (and by bank, I mean branch, actually).

As for returning, I found it easiest to get an account with a credit union that has a change-counting machine for customer use (no charge, unlike coinstar).
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennehChaos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really slack about taking pictures, but in the past month-
A 1928-S in low VF condition
A blank planchet (copper)
A 1975 LMC with the state of Illinois stamped in it
Three "clipped" cents, including a 1944 (I'd never gotten one before this month, I can only guess somebody's collection got dumped)
And the biggie-
An 1899 Indian Head cent (on the end of a Brinks roll, if you can believe it!)

(I know the end of the roll looks like it was tampered with... All I can say is I unsealed the box, and there it was... it was even facing upwards!)
Edited by PennehChaos
12/29/2008 9:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A very novice question for you: I search a few rolls of cents every time I go to the bank, but if I wanted to get a box, do they have them laying around? Or do they have to be ordered?
Also, when you finish a box, do you fill up the rolls and return the whole box to your "dump bank" or do you return them a few rolls at a time?

Just ask for a "box of pennies", don't ask for a box of "cents" or you'll get a dumb look. LOL Try to get 2 or 3 boxes if they have them. That way you keep trading in one box at a time....see below.

I re-roll my cents while watching TV and put a big, black X on the rolls just in case they come my way again....which hasn't happened yet. When I get a "full" box, I return it and ask for a trade. You have to remember, banks pay MORE than face to get these boxes. Sometimes they won't give me a box if they're low and I don't have a "trade in" box. In fact, in general, they don't like giving out boxes of coins because of the premium they have to pay. But if you walk in with a box, they have no excuses!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm really slack about taking pictures, but in the past month-
A 1928-S in low VF condition
A blank planchet (copper)
A 1975 LMC with the state of Illinois stamped in it
Three "clipped" cents, including a 1944 (I'd never gotten one before this month, I can only guess somebody's collection got dumped)
And the biggie-
An 1899 Indian Head cent (on the end of a Brinks roll, if you can believe it!)

Those are supreme find! I have yet to find a clip or an Indian....CONGRATS! The most valuable coins I've found are a 2005 proof that was at least PR-65 and a 1998 wide-AM.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Texas collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help.

But...if you trade a box for a box, when you go to return the new box, what's to keep you from getting the box you returned earlier. Even if you use two or more banks couldn't this still happen?

I probably won't be doing many boxes, with school and work, but how do you avoid getting the same box twice?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dump it at another bank. Like if you withdraw from Wells Fargo, dump it at WaMu

--and is it etiquette to roll them up again? When I dump, I just have it in a box and ask "can I deposit this?" with a
Edited by wd1040
12/30/2008 12:15 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  11:36 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But...if you trade a box for a box, when you go to return the new box, what's to keep you from getting the box you returned earlier. Even if you use two or more banks couldn't this still happen?

I probably won't be doing many boxes, with school and work, but how do you avoid getting the same box twice?

Banks turn boxes of cents quickly. It takes me a week or two to get through a box and I've never gotten the same box back. Also, I mark each roll with an X on it. All but one time I've always received a brand new, sealed Brinks box. The one time I didn't I just opened the box and took a peek to make sure there wasn't X's on the rolls....problem solved.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  11:38 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
--and is it etiquette to roll them up again? When I dump, I just have it in a box and ask "can I deposit this?"

I just do it while I'm watching TV, it's easy to roll them. Just mark a coin tube with a 50 cent line, fill, then roll. I'm sure they don't like getting loose cents to deal with, plus, the way I do it they have no excuse for exchanging the box if they have one....it's just a trade.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
578 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mklpatrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I did not get this one out of a roll, although I am in the middle of a box right now. This came in change from the bank when I made a deposit. I'm not sure what that glob is on his eyeball, but I was surprised at the condition of the rest of the coin. Any ideas on grade? My apologies in advance for the image quality as I just threw it on my scanner when I got back to the office.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great change find! Looks to be AU red to me.

EDIT: I'd take that to the sink and rub between your fingers with maybe a little dish soap to see if you can remove the gunk. Use very hot water! Sometimes that's works well for me.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
12/30/2008 8:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16768 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2008  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting night in roll searching tonight. I opened 10 rolls and I only picked out 4 BU's decent enough to keep. Normally, I would have netted at least 15-20 nice BU's with this many rolls. I also observed the quality of the 2008's is going down hill fast. Plenty of 2008's in these rolls, but not a single one worth keeping.

One good thing, I did pick out 5 wheats in those 10 rolls including a very worn AG-G 1918! That's the oldest coin I've ever gotten cent roll searching.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 948 Previous TopicReplies: 14,209 / Views: 1,044,914Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05