Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 Barber Dime For Your Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 439Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a dime I've been eyeing for the past couple weeks, think it's UNC? I'm a little concerned about what the mark on the reverse may be.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53552 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would certainly ask the seller about this mark for sure, and would not consider buying it without full return privileges.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/22/2020 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ability to return would be a must for me. Can't quite tell from these, but are those hairlines on the obverse, cheek area primarily, possibly on the neck as well?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5363 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely unc, with faint slide marks on the cheek. Doesn't look obviously cleaned or mishandled. The reverse mark looks like ink and might be removable. The small black spot on the wreath tip is a minor distraction.
Decent coin overall, worth considering if the price is right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The asking price is under $100, I pretty much agree with all your opinions.

Ty, those do appear to be hairlines, but I'm not overly concerned about them as the images aren't particularly well lit, it seems likely to me that they probably aren't as pronounced as the pictures imply.

seems like I may have to pull the trigger!
Edited by Adam_E
11/23/2020 12:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
make sure to post some in hand pics if you pick it up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9646 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
without that mark I would think this one might pull a MS64 grade. I've never tried to remove marker especially if its permanent marker. if it can be removed I would think it come off easily without leaving residual discoloring however if thats the case then why didnt the owner just remove it prior to listing it?

maybe ask the lister what they think it is
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14589 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a black marker It's hard to believe that Acetone would not remove it . I'm not to worried about the small spot at 1:00 on reverse . I believe the grade of this coin would easily surpass MS-65 if that marker spot is removable . I love the sharp strike on the reverse of this coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC Details Cleaned. Too many little hairlines, and the color difference line under the chin should be a concern.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a lot of straight-graded MS Barber dimes have those micro scratches across the bust. That divot below the A catches my eye. Planchet flaw or? Nice strike. Under $100 is a good deal but it's always a gamble with raw coins. The black marks to me is kind of "you get what you pay for".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14589 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
UNC Details Cleaned. Too many little hairlines, and the color difference line under the chin should be a concern.

I really don't think this coin was cleaned , looks original to me .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with UNC-something. At that price, what's the downside? Even if it comes in at MS-60/MS-61, it's break even. It looks decent.

Bottom line: if you've been eyeballing it that long, you like it. Isn't that why we all collect coins in the first place?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7705 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say au58 due to the unfortunate slide marks on the cheek. Coin is nice but rubbed. The line in reverse would be an issue if it doesn't acetone out. Nice looking coin otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a reply about that mark from the seller:

"Hello, we have pulled the coin and below are some pictures. It's a mark on the surface like a scuff but it is not black it just appears that way depending on how you turn the coin in the light. At some angles it's not visible at all. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any more clarification."

Not really sure how I feel about that. If it's as visible as it is in the picture in any light, it would be a massive detractor in grade and eye appeal.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's a deep scratch. It looks a bit too fresh, as well. I wonder if it is damage from a staple? It's probably not enough to detail a dime, but it would definitely cap it on the lower end of UNC, say 60-61. (IMHO, on a larger coin, detailing would be more likely.)

It would depend on the price. An MS-60 or -61 runs around $90-ish, but there's a huge falloff to AU-58, which is around $60-ish. If the price is right or if there's a make an offer option, something in the midrange might not be a bad deal.

Just a couple thoughts. You know if you would be happy with it. That's what really matters.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05