Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle Cent Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  8:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another I picked up with the others, same local seller. Also going into the 7070. Paid $30. Not the best strike, but I have this one at VF-20, not sure if that hit above the date would Details it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7711 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have it at vf30, but it has some problems. Looks like some metal movement above the date and a more recent scratch below the eagle's neck/breast. Also, many of the FECs have a surface with many shallow black spots which is really prevalent in the reverse but can also be seen more sparsely in the right obverse field. If placing one in a 7070, I would locate one that didn't have these issues. There are many of these around in this grade so finding one wouldn't be too difficult.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53738 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree mid-VF details (scratched, gouged, reverse porosity).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7788 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  02:33 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's the eagles foot and leg that's attached to the 7 . How in the heck ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@52Raymo...Good eye
Until you mentioned that...thought it was just a scratch...now you have me saying...How in the heck?
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree VF30 details (ED)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why I didn't go back and double check this one . Well I dont know what happened during editing, but that "gouge"/doubled image, isn't there. All I adjusted in Lightroom was the exposure, contrast, and shadows.

Here's the obverse again....without the glitch.

Edit: after spending a bit more time with this one in hand, I can certainly see VF-25. The reverse appears to be more of a dark toning/discoloration, and really not seeing an porosity. I picked up number of coins from this seller, guess I was a little to eager to use the new camera and get things posted...... lesson learned!! Still not sure what happened in the original obv pic. If anyone has any ideas, I left it up for reference. Thanks all!
Edited by Ty2020b
11/24/2020 10:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2725 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF-30, probably straight without the displaced claw. I don't think that small obverse gouge or the reverse surface would detail it, but the reverse is not particularly attractive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05