Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 US Mint Product Schedule

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 266 / Views: 14,351Next Topic
Page: of 18
Learn More...
United States
99388 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In situations like this, the government contracts stipulate the requirements. First and foremost, all coins would have to be made in the current mints by U.S. workers. Contracts can also have provisions regarding quality. Quality is gauged by 3rd party services. What we have right now is not working. The mint's cost to manufacture is way out of control and they're raping collectors to top it off. The mint is way out of touch with their collecting customers. Their communication is crap. Private companies operating government facilities happens all the time at federal, state and local levels. The vast majority of the time, these companies do so for less and the result is better quality.
You just made it cost more than what it costs the mint now. Those requirements are not going to be cheap.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn/papagiorgio
I still hadn't received shipping confirmation for 2 subscriptions for the ASE. I called a back door number and received confirmation the orders hadn't been canceled were indeed still processing and had tracking numbers and that I should receive shipping confirmation soon. Is it possible those of us who haven't received our coins are receiving Mike M and other big buyers rejects? I can't help but wonder with how the USM has been handling this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always hear about this Mike M guy selling coins, but I have never seen him before. I seen the other guys like Don, Chopper, Rick, and the Coin Vault boys, but never have seen this Mike guy. When is he on? I thought I heard it was on HSN, but never seen him before. Does anybody know what channel on DirecTv this guy is on and at what time? I just want to see what everyone is always talking about. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can the Christa McAuliffe Proof have a remind me?

It's a presale.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Teach - I don't know about Direct TV, but Mike M is on his HSN show midnight - 1A central Saturday and again 7P-9P Saturday evening this week. He can be entertaining to listen to just to catch some of his BS and misinformation. I'm sure he'll be pushing his 'sold out limited edition exclusively his' 2021 graded proof ASEs this week.
Edited by smuglr
02/23/2021 2:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You just made it cost more than what it costs the mint now. Those requirements are not going to be cheap.

If one makes the assumption that a government operated facility runs just as efficiently as a privately operated facility, then that would be the case. However, I can assure you that privately operated facilities have much lower direct labor and overhead costs. They produce more in the same amount of time. They produce better quality. Much of this has to do with the way government does budgeting. If a government facility is inefficient, it's rewarded with a bigger budget. In other words, failure is rewarded with more money. On the other hand, private manufacturing businesses that are more efficient and produce better quality are rewarded with more profit. The ones that are not efficient or produce low quality products go away.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dearborn/papagiorgio
I still hadn't received shipping confirmation for 2 subscriptions for the ASE. I called a back door number and received confirmation the orders hadn't been canceled were indeed still processing and had tracking numbers and that I should receive shipping confirmation soon. Is it possible those of us who haven't received our coins are receiving Mike M and other big buyers rejects? I can't help but wonder with how the USM has been handling this.

I would be extremely surprised if we're getting their rejects. Keep in mind there's 300k of these, so it's hard for the mint to know what's good/bad.. I think with them is the big boys likely get first priority in terms of their orders are being sent first while the lowly subscription orders are more pushed back on being fulfilled. I usually get a tracking number in 24 hours with USPS showing in their possession the next business day after that.

I think with the bad storms we've had the past week and with USPS just being a mess in general since COVID, the mint has been slower processing these orders and USPS being slower to receive them.

Quote:
I always hear about this Mike M guy selling coins, but I have never seen him before. I seen the other guys like Don, Chopper, Rick, and the Coin Vault boys, but never have seen this Mike guy. When is he on? I thought I heard it was on HSN, but never seen him before. Does anybody know what channel on DirecTv this guy is on and at what time? I just want to see what everyone is always talking about. Thanks!

He's usually on primetime HSN if there's a big mint release, but usually overnight. I have his show set to record for entertainment; that way I can fast forward on the items that don't interest me. He has had a few shows on in the afternoon lately pushing the 2021 proof ASEs. However, you only hear him on the phone, he hasn't been in studio since Covid. It's usually a woman co-hosting in studio and he talks on the phone giving his pitch.

Just lookup "Coin Collector" on HSN if you're able to do that (I have Xfinity, so it lets me set a series recording).

Edit: Just looked, looks like he's going to be on Fri/Sat night at 1AM ET and again Saturday evening (I think 7ET).
Edited by mrpapageorgio
02/23/2021 3:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
99388 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If one makes the assumption that a government operated facility runs just as efficiently as a privately operated facility, then that would be the case...
I must reiterate, we are talking about coins, not guns, computers, airplanes, etc. With you on stuff like that, I am with you 99.99%. But I cannot see how any private US company would be able to do what the Mint does better or for less. The Mint has the resources, the infrastructure, the acutal mandate, etc.

If you want to be able to buy cheaper products then what US company is going to want to work for those margins without resorting to cheap non-US labour? I do not see how they could compete with the US Mint.

We complain about the crap sold by commodity "mints" all the time. If we outsourced our coins, even if we managed to keep them made in the USA, we would end up with crappy looking arcade tokens at best.

With that, if you think this is a viable solution and would be better for us, then try to make it happen. Be the change you want to see. Start a petition or contact your Rep and Senators. Let me know how they respond. I am genuinely curious if privatizing the US Mint is tenable. I do not believe it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not outsourcing. Americans would still be making the coins in the same mints. It's just different management with an entirely different accountability structure. We can absolutely do better than the mint is doing right now. There is nothing particularly special when it comes to manufacturing coins. All the same principles apply.

I'm an operations manager for a business/factory that employs about 170. I've collected coins for forty years. I'm an industrial engineer by education and have worked in a variety of manufacturing facilities. I can't say that I've seen it all when it comes to manufacturing, but I've seen a great deal for sure. I love my job, but would absolutely leave it to be the mint director or run a mint facility if I was empowered and accountable. We have neither at the mint right now. The mint directors are hired for political reasons, not because of their abilities to run manufacturing facilities. This would require a change in the laws. Not to get political, but I have to be realistic. This absolutely won't happen with the current administration and congress. It could have and should have happened in previous administrations, but they failed to act. My two senators are pro big government and neither has the first clue how to produce anything. However, my representative is a good guy that looks for ways to make government more efficient. When/if I get in front of politicians that can influence the next administration, don't worry. I'll absolutely speak my mind and offer up my services. And again, I'm talking about privatizing the operation of the mints. The ownership would still be public.
Learn More...
United States
99388 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then make it happen. You seem to be selling it hard, but I am not anyone who can or wants to make it happen. Do something about it, otherwise it is just talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. You have to have three things; desire, talent and opportunity. I have two and am looking for the third.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Christa mcauliffe proof coin is now back up for sale. No telling how long they may last.

Has anyone received their shipping notice for the congratulations set? I'm still waiting. Going on 2 weeks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Winter storms and COVID don't explain why these ASE's are not shipping. A little communication would be nice.
Learn More...
United States
99388 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree. You have to have three things; desire, talent and opportunity. I have two and am looking for the third.
Desire?

Just giving you some grief. Good luck on the quest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1332 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
naw, naw, naw its talent he needs....
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Page: of 18 Replies: 266 / Views: 14,351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05