Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Grade This 1953 Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 375Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1105 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Title says it all, just received today and curious on your thoughts.

For larger pictures
https://www.icollector.com/1953-Can...et_i39070189
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1631 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a mint issue, most are Mint State coins in theses packages by the mint is it a SF set? If so the 1 cent could be valuable if it makes a MS-65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1014 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1953 sets can be made up of MS, PL, or SP strikes, or a combination thereof, but, as Papeldog said, mostly they are MS.

We'll need better photos to make that call...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3648 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone put that thing together .
Circulated coins . Hope you have return privileges!
The coins in these RCM 1953 Sets are usually quite attractive UNCs
With some even being PL coins on occasion .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1105 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your eyes always impress me Pacific. You nailed it. 4 of 6 cleaned, 2-3 circulated. I still have lots to learn from pictures. I was not expecting SP/PL's, but needed a SF with waterlines.

I think what bothers me most is that this is from a reputable auction house and it is the second time with them. Previously I bought a ungraded 1970 sp set with case, very nice coins, but all came back PL, thankfully they took them back, but I was still out the ICCS fees. This time, the packaging was done to make it look like a mint set.

Buyer beware and another leraning experience for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3648 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These 1953 sets are always a conundrum .
There is little doubt that the RCM had a numismatic department
back in the late 1940s early 1950s . Personally I have handled
Numerous examples of sets from 1949 to 1953 .
The 1953 sets in Cardboard ( like the later official 1954 to 1960)
are usually found with coins that will grade MS63 or better.
Sometimes you get lucky and get a real Proof-like or two in a set
Generally it will be a 10 Cent SF or 25 Cent Small date . Once I
did get a PL 66 Cameo Dollar .
Most sets offer NSF coins and I have yet to ever find one with a
Shoulder Fold Cent !
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 375Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05