Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In Search Of Anyone Who Owns Or Knows Of A 1953 Henning Nickel

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,956Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nickelcollectr85 @Conder101

From another source, it is estimated that he made a few hundred thousand of these, so in all fairness, it looks like he made a pretty good profit. (At the scale of a few decent houses' worth if he managed to keep all of the profit).

With that said, I would think someone who is that skilled in counterfeiting would at least make $5 bills or something... That's a lot of nickels to take to the bank (I read that he took them a few rolls at a time), and a lot of risk to take on each one for only $4-8 each trip. Unless, that is, he did make other stuff and only got caught on the nickels...

@Nickelcollectr85 Is that an NGC holder in your picture? It definitely looks like one. If so, I'm surprised that they'd take these.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Msl2196 the coin case I have is a 3 piece case I've ordered off eBay for a few bucks a piece. You order them by the mm size of coin They are very similar to the NGC/PCGS hard shell cases. I've heard if you send henning into the NGC company they will not grade them and return with a tag or paper notation explaining this item is a known contemporary counterfeit. I've also read in a thread somewhere else there is another lower name grading company that will actually grade henning nickels but due to the coin being cast counterfeited off worn nickels the grades arent ever going to be high numbers also grading is to determine a value on the item it doesn't seem practical to spend the cash since there's no really know mint history value.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been 5 months since I posted on this listing but I'm still looking to find a 1953 henning image or at least someone that owns one. There was one posted on eBay awhile back that sold for $900 but the looped R wasn't very prominent for me to know for sure for that type of $..
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all hennings have the looped r.
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had never heard of these either. By "looped R" do you mean the hooked leg of the letter R in Pluribus or Trust or both?
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread got me intrigued so I did some reading on this subject. Very interesting since it was a local matter and the counterfeit coins and dies were dumped near where I used to go fishing on the Schuylkill River. I never knew about these and I thought I was well versed with Jefferson nickels and varieties. Thank you for expanding my knowledge. Now I see what is meant by the looped R of Pluribus. I also see that many have a weak mushy appearance. I saw the looped R diagnostic on the 1939 and the 1944. Does anyone know what the diagnostics would be for the 1946, 1947, and 1953? I saw a mention that they are often overweight but by how much?
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Johnh4444 you are correct not all have the looped R but the one that sold on eBay looked more like a scratch than the looped I've seen.. for that type of money I would like to be for sure..
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MisterT I'm glad you were intrigued by this listing I myself collect Jefferson nickel and other Jefferson coin types.. I've studied these going on 10 years now and am only missing the 53 .. the diagnostics are all very similar since he used the same reverse dies on all of the coins., weight will be the same over/under because of the planchets he used if you look under my name I have great images listed of my collection
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone has images of the 1953 I'll add it to this site.
http://www.error-ref.com/henning-co...feit-nickel/
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JC Stevens if you need an image of the 46 feel free to use mine if you'd like. It's the looped R type and is over weight at 5.25 grams.
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 46 as far as I've seen, only has the looped R, and I've yet to see a solid picture of one. If you do have one and it isn't too much trouble could you post the pictures in this thread?
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a picture of the obverse too? These pictures are a lot nicer then the average eBay listings.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelcollectr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily I had images on my phone that I was able to crop while working... took these myself with my iPhone when I first purchased this coin a year or so ago..let me know if this is what you're looking for in pictures
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,956Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05