Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 Washington Quarter - Counterfeit Struck On Shattered Die

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2944 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:25 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A counterfeit with serious problems. The original dies to create this thing were pretty much toast. I don't know what it was made of but it has a rudimentary edged rim and no copper core.

1969 Washington quarter - counterfeit struck on shattered dies 5.65g

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53688 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeesh, how do you find these?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse fake die was toast. Here is a sand cast coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/28/2020 10:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4606 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bats, that quarter has all sorts of problems! Thanks for sharing
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2001 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's something else. Just curious what the weigh of this one is?

I've been told that magnesium is used a lot for these fakes since the color resembles circulated silver.

ps.I bought some fake Morgans on purpose from a friend who was taken to the cleaners on a group of 10 (he paid $15 each) that were inside a pvc page from a binder and taped up tight. 8 different date CC Morgans and 2 Peace that couldn't be removed to weigh only one coin individually (his digital scale couldn't weigh 10 "silver" dollars). All the different dated CC's had the same reverse with a pair of die gouges over the LL of DOLLAR. When I got them home to crack one out, they weighed between 19-19 grams. Almost half the weight of genuine ones.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2944 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, er, it's in the header above the images.

Recently I got a world of Morgan fakes off another board member, bringing my total of them to something around a-whole-heckuva-lot. Almost all are non-magnetic and underweight, so I can understand why a bad seller would make weighing things tough. I think the same crowd are the ones faking the Peace dollars as well since quite a number of them are pretty much the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2001 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Er, ah, so it is. LOL (Earlier, I must have been a reeeeal hurry to go metal detecting.)
5.67 grams is pretty close to a real quarter.

Yeah, the Peace dollars I got were fake errors as well. They had a strong Eagle "clashed" over the bust of LIBERTY. The deep parts of the bust wouldn't be a place for a true clash to show up.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05