Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Canadian Quarter MS 65

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 525Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
411 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  8:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add doctorman1941 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

I think I have a general idea of grading coins but I guess I am way of on this grade as I would not think it is close to MS 65? item no 333549510301
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53676 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to evaluate toned coins from images like these, but I must admit the fingerprint leaves this in the "low eye-appeal" category.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/29/2020 8:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1113 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to say based on photo's, but priced slightly above market prices (ebay, etc...) and not very attractive, unless you really need one, I would wait for a better coin, as there is no discount to make up for lack of eye appeal in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3846 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Feeling the same as coinfrog stated...from pictures who knows what's under that toning
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3319 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think PCGS would have given it a "details" coin and maybe not even assigned a number. ICCS is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to anything involving the surfaces or luster. That vendor will never ever sell that thing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3276 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ICCS is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to anything involving the surfaces or luster

That is a pretty bold statement, Considering I am looking at Newfoundland coins, graded by PCGS, and NGC, and almost everyone I look at is over graded, badly, it comes back to buy the coin, not the holder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3319 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I meant by my comment is that ICCS is a TECHNICAL grader, based almost exclusively on wear. They really seldom take in luster or surface at all, but ICCS is the better seller for most folks if it's sold up here rather than the US. US prefers PCGS or sometimes NGC. ICCS even most times won't mention cleaning or dipping .. only the technical grade due to wear/scratches.
Edited by okiecoiner
12/01/2020 07:14 am
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer is a good guy - in my experience he's open to discussion and compromise when it comes to price. Personally, I can't grade that coin based on the photos though the finger prints and weird toning are a turn off regardless of what sort of shape King George's hair is in.....
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Though I just noticed that the word 'gem' is included in the title. That is bonkers - if that's gem then I'm an olympic athlete.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3319 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, and I think that some of that 'green" discoloration on the Reverse is PVC chemical reaction going on from their great holders.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's amazing. A plastic filter can do so much. If I wasn't aware of the grade, the coin as pictured would struggle to be in VF. I'm sure in hand it has great detail and obvious but subdued lustre. I'm a big fan of toned coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05