Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who's Buying 2020 Mint Sets?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 94 / Views: 2,910Next Topic
Page: of 7
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got shipping notification for the mint set.

Now if I can just get that Mayflower set to budge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My enrollment order was confirmed around 2:00 a.m. Monday, and I received a shipping notification this afternoon. Thankfully it's coming via USPS, so I won't have to wait as long as years past.

I'm not a fan of the price increase, but given all the other across-the-board increases, the annual mint set will probably be my only consistent yearly purchase from the Mint. I'm hoping against hope that with the ATB series ending next year, the price will go down somewhat.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping against hope that with the ATB series ending next year, the price will go down somewhat.
I hope so, too. Not getting change on the regular or knowing when I will get back to a coin show may mean this is how I do my annual hole filling going forward.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1654 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the shipping notice for my sets. When the mint's next sales report comes out, it will be interesting to see how many sets have sold.
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get two sets on their enrollment program, and the order was processing on Monday, and shipping on Wednesday, this time by UPS. With the challenges of USPS shipments lately, that sounds like a more likely to reach my door method of shipment.

Now I have notification that the package will be a my doorstep when I get home this evening, Friday. Quite quick service especially given the holiday time period.
Edited by Erscolo
12/04/2020 4:23 pm
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the mint's next sales report comes out, it will be interesting to see how many sets have sold.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now I have notification that the package will be a my doorstep when I get home this evening, Friday. Quite quick service especially given the holiday time period.
My tracking shows "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expected delivery is tomorrow for mine, quicker than expected.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been waiting for my shipping notice from the mint. I ordered 10 sets of the 2020 US mint uncirculated sets. I checked the mint site and it still says processing.
I was fixing lunch and the doorbell rang. I saw a UPS driver outside. He left the package at the door. It was my 10 sets I ordered. I checked the mints website. It still says processing.
I wonder if they are going to process my credit card?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine just showed up today!
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No change in my status, waiting for item.

I did buy an Ike on Friday. Maybe it will beat the set here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3488 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The part that is hard to stomach is the price increase. I get that with fewer collector coins being sold, the fixed costs have to be divided up over fewer sales.

I'm just not happy with the division of those fixed costs between collector coins and non-collector (circulation coins). If the mint were to stop making collector coins, their costs wouldn't drop all that much, so why do we have to pay a disproportionate portion of them?
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The part that is hard to stomach is the price increase. I get that with fewer collector coins being sold, the fixed costs have to be divided up over fewer sales.

And price increases only compound the problem of declining sales by driving away collectors who can't afford the products, thus creating an endless cycle. Nevertheless, I have a hard time believing that costs have risen as dramatically as the price increases indicate, especially when the increases are across the board (e.g. not confined to PM products). I was on board with past incremental increases, but not this.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the mint were to stop making collector coins, their costs wouldn't drop all that much, so why do we have to pay a disproportionate portion of them?
The uncirculated collector coins are stuck with higher pressure and at a lower speed. They certainly cost more to make, as do proofs (which in addition are struck twice and require additional prep for planchets and dies). Collector coins also have additional packaging and handling concerns. I imagine mint expenses would go down significantly if they only minted coins for circulation. How significant, I am not sure.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I have a hard time believing that costs have risen as dramatically as the price increases indicate..
I am sure the COVID pandemic has affected operational costs. How much?
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 94 / Views: 2,910Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05