Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 354 / Views: 5,543Next Topic
Page: of 24
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9364 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1977 -- Australia, 50 cents:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example and photo!

Did you know there are 25 crowns superimposed on that coin in a chain, one crown for each year of her reign to that point (Imagine that now?)

NZ for 1977 I have some more!

A large dollar in its case, and a Uncirculated set in its folder.

The set makes me laugh with its hideous wood grained coloured vinyl case, only in the 1970s could you get away with mock plastic wood covering. The coins are another matter with the Dollar showing Treaty house at Waitangi.

This is where James Busby the British resident lived from 1835 to 1842 (The house was a kitset building bought across from England in 1834/35) - In 1933 it was gifted to the nation by the Governor and in 1977 it became a National shrine, with her Majesty visiting it.

You can walk around the house now (The local Maoris control the grounds and charge you $$$ to get in and give you a spiel about how their land was stolen .. ). But until 1995 it was free and no Maori protestor impact.

The coins included a special Anniversary inscription on the dollar. The plastic on the set was a lower quality than 1980 as NR's set showed and is brittle, hence the toning on the copper.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Australia, all I have to show is my Silver Jubilee 50 cent coin (I have all the others, but they are cloudy VF)

Not on the level of Pepa's, but I am happy - just a stunning design!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2722 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The year I attended university.
Yes, it only lasted one year.

About the only decent coin pic I have from that year is this...

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7936 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a 1977 NZ proof set. Unfortunately, there are streaky white marks on the hard plastic case right above the dollar coin, and I can't remove them - I suspect they are on the inside of the case and were there when it was sealed. As the coins are in near FDC condition I'm reluctant to smash open the case and 'liberate' them! (I bought the set as part of a lot of about a dozen Commonwealth Proof and BU sets from a dealer about 15 years ago).

Princetane - I visited the Waitangi Treaty House and grounds in the 1990s when entry was still free of charge. I went back there in 2019 and was horrified at the admission charge, even though I was entitled to a reduction as a New Zealand citizen...
Edited by NumisRob
01/14/2021 06:08 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob,

I didn't know you had Kiwi citizenship, I knew you had some Kiwi ancestry though - cool.
Now your proof set I would say that smudge is from an imperceptible tiny crack in the plastic, or there was some cold moist air that slipped in before the case was sealed. If it is cracks, this is pressure cracking from a bad sealing process, or that set has been dropped on the floor harshly or exposed to some pressure (Like being flown in a very high plane or pressurised environment).

I would open it and liberate the coins (use gloves or handle on the edge, although 1977 sets are not that rare and an intact one can be bought for $50 or so at most). However opening these suckers is hard, these were sealed for posterity and plus the coins still look fine!

That style of case was introduced to NZ Proof sets in 1971 and 1970s examples are now found cracked and split in some cases. I would also examine the seams and sides for any cracks or holes.

You are lucky too, as 1977 was the first year of the regular Sterling silver dollar issue in those proof sets. Here is a 1976 Proof set I have and as you can see the dollar is cupro nickel, meaning its worth a lot less than the 1977!

The 1974 Proof set with the Commonwealth games dollar was silver too, but all other pre 1977 dollars, uncirculated, specimen and polished are all cupro nickel.

The quality of the coin polishing is great and you get that cameoed finish but alas its like pearling a sow's ear!

1976 was also a year of the Coat of Arms dollar. The last special commem designs being in 1974, being revived in 1977/78 and then every year from 1980 onwards. Hence why 1976 is a cheap year like 1967, 1971/72/73, 75 and 79.

I got this 76 set as I was born in that year and at $5, it was a bargain I could not turn down!

Shows the packet, an older photo.

The other thing I don't get about these early Proof sets, is the ESOL inscription - "New Zealand Proof coin", makes no sense at all ,sounds like something that was made in China!

In 1982 this was changed to "Proof set", which at least makes more sense.
Edited by Princetane
01/15/2021 12:47 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rest of my 1976 is very understated

Particularly nice 20c and 1c from my birth year in MUCH better condition than me!

For Australia, all I did was this 5 cent, I have all the coins - but again they look like every other worn Australian coin issued between 1966 and 1984.

The coin is in pretty good shape and I am always partial to a shiny 5 cent coin. In case you all have not noticed, apart from Halfcrowns, Florins and big old Kiwi dollars, the 5 cent coin is one of my favourite denominations!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7936 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - thanks for your advice about the 1977 proof set. I think I'll leave it alone for the time being!

I have no such problems with my 1976 proof set!

Princetane - my Dad was born in Wellington. My Mum was English, but after they married my parents lived in NZ until the 1950s and my elder brother was born there. I was born in the quintessentially English town of Tunbridge Wells but am very proud of my Kiwi citizenship!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2722 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tunbridge Wells

NumisRob, that's not too far from my old stomping grounds in Warlingham and Caterham. We moved to Aus in 1969.

Coins from 1976.

Aus 5 cents

Aus 50 cents

Aus 2 cents

Haven't really got any decent photos of my NZ coins around
this era, but I do have a nice 2c to show soon.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
01/15/2021 06:20 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins and stories guys, you could get a British passport in NZ if you had a grandparent born in the UK, or you were born before January 1 1949.

My partner qualifies (His Dad was born in the East end, and he was born before 1949)

I miss out by one generation, my MAORI dad had an English passport because his grandmother was born in the UK in 1905 and came out to New Zealand in 1926 as a domestic servant and married his 100% Maori grandad (My Maori great grandad). On my Pakeha (White) side, I am at least 5th generation Kiwi and the last ancestor of mine to leave the UK was in 1875!

Yes my Halfcrowns and Florins have more claim to UK citizenship and ancestry than I do.
Edited by Princetane
01/15/2021 06:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9364 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 -- New Zealand, 1 dollar:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2722 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Aus 5 cents

Aus One cent

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7936 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1975 New Zealand dollar photographed through its rather scratched square English-made case of issue...

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1975 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1975 may be my worst year so far, the 2nd half was spent in utereo changing from an ova to an embryo and then by December a 5 month old foetus probably with laungo and recognisable human form.

For Australia, an EF 10 cent coin and AU 5 cent piece (That is how dire my collection is for the year of the Skyhooks)

New Zealand a lot better with these UNC 2c, 20c and 50c pieces, found in my collection of loose coins, I am sure they may have been part of a set once. Coins this nice generally do not survive 30+ years in circulation.

Tomorrow things pick up a bit as we head into the first decae of decimal currency in both nations.

My coin ladies bought me another bag today, mostly modern grot - but an UNC 1983 and 1981 Australian 50 cent piece, which will upgrade the ones I have.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2722 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Colourful NZ 2c

Probably would look better out of the 2x2.

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 24 Previous TopicReplies: 354 / Views: 5,543Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05