Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 663 / Views: 10,666Next Topic
Page: of 45
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't done any photos today, been a hard day with extreme heat, humidity and other jobs. So no Australian coins for now.

I will show both of my Kiwi dollars for 1974.

This photo shows both large dollars in uncirculated state.

The Commonwealth games one was the set coin with 515k of them issued in all permutations (Loose and sets).

The proof version was silver. 500k was the highest ever mintage for a NZ uncirculated dollar with the number needed for visitors coming to these groovy games. No where near that many sold and now these coins flood the market. Along with 1967 and 1969, the 1974 dollar is pretty much worth face value and some greedy dealers even offer 75 or 70 cents each for them!

The NZ Day dollar was only issued loose (50k) and proof loose (5k and very rare, more catalogue than the silver games dollar - $65 vs $35). And this proof one was still cupro nickel.

NZ day was a failed attempt to end Waitangi after increasing Maori protests, it was set up by Norman Kirk, a prime minister widely suspected to be Maori himself given his thick lips, swarthy complexion and obese frame. It failed and Waitangi day stuck. Kirk outlived his coin by 5 months dying in September 1974 aged just 51.

I may show some more 74 later on in the forum day (Tomorrow our time).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8101 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - my 1974 Games dollar was the first NZ coin I bought, and it was during my first hour or so on NZ soil! I'd arrived at Auckland airport with my family and went with my parents to one of the bank counters so we could get some NZ dollars. They had these coins on display behind the counter and I pestered my Dad to give me a few dollars so I could buy one! It was December 1973 and I was very excited to have a 'coin from the future' in my collection, but I guess it wasn't a very good buy...

I remember the airport was plastered with publicity for the Games, and my Mum thought the use of the Roman numeral for 10 looked strange - it was as if everyone had lost count of how many Commonwealth Games there had been: the 'x'th Games!
Edited by NumisRob
01/17/2021 04:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They had these coins on display behind the counter and I pestered my Dad to give me a few dollars so I could buy one!

Well done NumisRob. The only thing I bought at Auckland airport was burger. :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story Numisrob and its proof that they were desparately trying to flog these coins off ahead of time. The actual games themselves were held in Christchurch, but to coincide with our southern summer, they were held in January 1974 and hence why the coins would have been rush released and no doubt minted in 1973 with a 1974 date. The Helvetica bold logo was designed around 1972, it was that "Groovy National development era".

Seriously look at most stamps, brochures and printed matter from the late 60s and especially the early 70s and that Helvetica bold script is everywhere. They just loved it.

As promised some more 74 coins - NZ

There is only a 1c to 5c here, all coins were issued in 74 and mintages were moderate, but generally early 1970s coins are hard to find and many have survived in bad condition.

By the 2000s most coins still in use were dated 1980 or later or 1967 which had the jumbo first year mintages. Coins dated 1970 - 1974 were notoriously hard to find and you will see that even my collections of them are sparse, except where I am using set pieces like in 1971 and 1972.

Ones that I have usually have faults like these, verdigris on the 1c and some weird smoke darkening on the 5c.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1974 may be my most sparse year for Australia, like with New Zealand early 1970s stuff is hard to find and some dates like the 1972 5 cents and 1971/72 20 cent coins would be considered rare now.

Here I have a very worn 20 cent coin (Probably sub VF, but high Fine) and a decent 5 cent coin.

Even now Steve and David, would you agree that early 1970s coins are hard to find in change and most are incredibly worn. All of my early 70s Australia will be sparse with 1 coin most years - I have most dates, just all really worn.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Commonwealth Games also had a set stamps showing the Graphic art and "Helvetica Bold" lettering popular in the era. It was released in January 1974.

The games themselves were held from Jan 24th to Feb 2nd 1974. The opening ceremony was one of the first colour broadcasts on New Zealand television!

The set was quite attractive and the 5 cents was one of the first stamps to promote the games for People with Disabilities. It was the 4th and last time a special games was held with the CW ones. Later special games were separate affairs and also athletes have done well in parlaympics too.

One of my stamp collecting friends did a great talk on the 1974 games and showed a lot of ephemera

- Books, pamphlets, posters, flags, teatowels and even another awful song (lets join together). This may have kicked off the awful theme song craze of the 1980s, made quickly and cheaply - they sail to the top of the charts, everyone buys it as its all about charity and then promptly forgotten about until this "retro" craze revives them including historical coin threads!

The games were held at QE2 park in Christchurch a athletics and swimming centre purpose built. It survived as a proper stadium and pool until 2011,when damage from the quakes ensured it was not salvageable and now has been demolished.

NZ won a lot of medals and the games were known as the friendly games. It was only the 10th ones as the games started only in 1930 and there were no games in 1942 or 1946.

Auckland hosted the games in 1950 (Known as the empire games) and 1990, but we have hosted them since.

Australia has hosted the games 5 times, 1938 in Sydney, 1962 Perth, 1982 Brisbane, 2006 Melbourne and 2018 in the Gold coast. Coins were issued from 1982 onwards and we have seen many of them!
Edited by Princetane
01/18/2021 02:28 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our New Zealand day coin also left a long shadow...

A sheetlet of 5 x 20 cent stamps was issued and they showed the concepts of Waitangi and the National Day. The beehive which was still in design phases then and the good old integrated classroom. Such fantasies of race mixing would lead to people like me eventually!

Such glossing over greivances and government propaganda did not wash. waitangi day had been largely peaceful until the early 1970s, when inspired by the Black power movement and the increase in visibility and rights of Brown and Black people worldwide, some Maori got angry and started to challenge the myth of best race relations in the world.

In 1974 Maori and Islanders could be and were in many cases legally refused accommodation due to their race, so bars, clubs and restaurants banned Maori or "poor" looking people and Maori were expected to be content working class bumpkins. The education system disadvantaged Maori and Islanders - (but lets be honest the working class too including many whites).

As late 1976 any Brown skinned person or anyone with an afro was arrested by Police on suspicion of being an overstayer and not even apologised to when found innocent.

Race relations are much better since the 90s, but brown people (Maori, Islanders, Indians, Muslims and Africans) in general still have it hard in New Zealand.

The coin design did survive and was modified into this in 1990

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great information there PrinceTane.
Yes I would agree that finding early 1970 coins in great condition is getting tougher.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't have many good images from this period, so I'll just leave you with a Aus 50c

Steve
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is about the same as mine mostly.

Not many people were putting aside change coins in the early/mid 70s I guess, with inflation and the fact neither country was issuing anything to exciting (Okay we had the year sets and for NZ the big dollars) but compare that to all the stuff we have now and in the classic era with coins of precious metal and varieties - creates more interest.

Plus it was a time of high inflation too - coins were quickly becoming worthless.

Anyway a nice worn 20 cent coin to go with your 50 cents!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8101 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1973 New Zealand dollar:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, but that case has definitely been through the wars.

The large dollars of 1971, 72 and 73 had the same design. I have 72 and 71, but not 73 - so thanks for showing. Was that one at the airport too in late 73 or just the CW games one.

My Kiwi coins for the year my brother was born.

All circulation coins were issued in 1973, however numbers issued were low to average, the 5 cents was just 4 million compared to usual mintages of at least 15 million in this era. Not surprisingly 1973 coins were hard to find in circulation by the time I started saving change at the end of the 80s. I always remember 1967 was common along with 1975, 1978 and 1980 to 1982, then the big 1986 - 1989 patch.

A 1973 5 cent coin was a real prize find. All were worn like this one. The 50 cent is nice too and was issued at a time when 50 cents was worth something, hence mintages of this coin were low compared to others (1 - 5 million per year) until 1982 when it became worth a lot less due to inflation.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know we have slipped back to 1973 - but this song was written then - good for a laugh and trip down memory lane for you NumisRob.

QZZ_yYtGe5s

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. [youtube][/youtube] Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8101 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great song and a nice reminder of my first visit to NZ!

Quote:
Was that one at the airport too in late 73 or just the CW games one.

I think I bought the 1973 dollar at a coin / stamp shop in Napier.
Funnily enough the song I most remember from NZ in 1973 is "Miss September" by the Bulldogs All Star Goodtime Band...

zKgq_4RfFoc

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. [youtube][/youtube] Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Edited by NumisRob
01/18/2021 06:00 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember that song - so corny and a lot of kazoo.

I loved some of our early 70s music, but a lot was silly like Hogsnort Rupert and Blerta. Splitz Enz had their first song "129 Matinee Idyll" in late 1973 - much better.

My favourite early 70s music is all the glam rock like T Rex and also Elton, David in his Ziggy/Aladdin Phase and a lot of Black R and B and message soul.
Page: of 45 Replies: 663 / Views: 10,666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05