Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 17,528Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1972 -- New Zealand, 1 dollar:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2921 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The elusive 1972 Aus 5 cent coin.
Over 8 million made and I have never seen
one in the wild.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have captured 3 of them in the wild, one from a few months ago and 2 in that collection I bought in December, these were accumulation lots and I felt lucky! Here are my 3 examples, one I consider to be EF (Bottom) with some lustre, the other 2 are standard VF.

It seems strange just 8 million were issued when other years had between 40 and 100 million.

My other 1972 are much less impressive, but include a scarce 20 cent coin with a mintage of 16 million, about half of the usual one. This was the same as 1969 and not as scarce as 1971.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1972 are better for NZ

I rescued these from a damaged UNC set in which the plastic had split and was nearly about to stain the coins.

The cent was not so lucky as it was stained by the split packet. I thought it wise to salvage the coins, which still look nice. These coins are set ones, but all were issued for circulation in 1972, yet numbers are very low.

Not quite on the level of Pepa's dollar, but a nice example nevertheless (Old photo from March sorry).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8358 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1972 NZ dollar:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1971 was a groovy year in many ways, dayglo orange was the most fashionable colour, people wore wide hippie flares and had things like bright red coats with striped ties and hair forever on both sexes. The fashion for people of colour was gigantic afros, leather coats and turtleneck sweaters and the statements "Can you dig it" and "right on".

Everything was groovy except coin design (Even stamps were wallowing in graphic art and helvetica bold lettering).

After 2 years of catchy dollar designs, what does NZ do, go back to the 1967 dollar design and run with it for the next few years. This is a nice example with original plastic colour. Given its now 50 years old. Notice how the silver coat has flowed out of the words and on to the plastic.

The colour is not that naturally blue, it appears a much darker blue in real life!

Yes that is right, we have gone back 50 years already!

Here is a rescued set of coins from 1971, still fresh and new after half century.

And here is the set they were rescued from!

These are the 1971 and 1972 sets, notice the plastic staining on the wallet. The wallets were limp too. The pliofilm wrapping had turned green and had been thrown out by that stage.

Made out of the cheapest PVC possible, people back in 1971 had no idea this stuff was dangerous.

Even the cardboard inserts were printed on acidopherous card and have stains. In 1972, a second card was added.
Edited by Princetane
01/20/2021 01:25 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am showing 3 coins for 1971 in Australia including the scarce 20 cent coin in which 9 million were minted.

It is in average condition like the cent, but the 10 cents is very nice, basically uncirculated - it came in a random lot of coins a few years ago. Quite lucky to have it.

Looking in my catalogue, mint sets of the early 70s are quite scarce and expensive for some reason.

Hope you all like !

STOP PRESS: Looks like the cent is dated 1973 not 1971, wonder how that got there, oh well it doesn't matter, that coin was merely a garnish.
Edited by Princetane
01/21/2021 01:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8358 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1971 New Zealand dollar:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1970 was a very interesting year in New Zealand, we had 2 special $1 coins yet only the 1c, 5c and 10c got released into circulation.

Here is the 5c and 10c, I have the cent too but example is very average. The 20c was released in 1969, but the 50c had not comwe out since 1967, starting in 1971 it was released most years.

I guess 50 cents was still worth something in 1970?

The 10 cents was the first without "One shilling" on it, by 1970 it was expected people had got used to decimal coins and it could be removed and the coin looked nicer without it.

The standard $1 coin was this one showing Mt Cook, Captain cook was on the 1969 coin, but as he explored NZ between Oct 1769 and Mar 1770, it was decided to roll the Cook theme out longer. The coin was super common with 300k being minted (285k loose like this and 15k in mint sets). Some 5k more were polished examples only found in "Polished sets" (More tomorrow on these, but I discuss them at length on the "Introduction to NZ Decimal coins thread")

Another Royal Visit saw more impetus to put it out and it was when the Duke of Edinburgh was on the Royal yacht, Britannia: sailing around the Pacific including Australia and Fiji's Independence, they also visited the Cook Islands!

I like this design and its a nice coin. But a second coin was released again milking the Cook theme

This was issued in the name of the Cook Islands (Although it says New Zealand on the reverse) - Cook only went there in 1774 and Niue. It did lead to the Cook Islands getting their own coinage from 1972 onwards, although tied to the NZ Dollar.

The coin is more scarce and only 25k unc and 5k polished were issued. It was not with 1970 sets and is a scarce coin. I only bought it a few weeks ago and are being lazy by using the sellers photo, but this coin sits happily in my collection now!

Tomorrow we beef up the coins for the 1965 - 1969 period and you will see more of my creamier coins!
Edited by Princetane
01/21/2021 02:35 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favourite Australian coin of 1970 is the Captain Cook 50 cents, a great design with a map of Australia and the waves on it, complete with Cook and his signature.

I am lucky to have an essentially UNC example too (Although were put aside and UNC are not rare in the slightest).

Cook arrived in Australia in April 1770 and hence why no 1969 Australian coins had the Cook theme.

This First Day Cover shows the set of stamps that came out as well.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8358 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  06:14 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1970 NZ Mount Cook dollar in original scuffed and scratched English-made case!

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are different to the ones I am showing.

I am assuming that because they were made by Royal Mint, you could also buy these coins in the UK as well?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8358 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am assuming that because they were made by Royal Mint, you could also buy these coins in the UK as well?

I don't know as I was very young at the time, but I expect they were available. You could certainly buy them from coin dealers in the UK and they still turn up quite often in coin fairs. I remember in 1978 the old Royal Mint building in London had a public shop where you could go in off the street and buy a range of recent coins including some Commonwealth ones, but I don't know if that shop was open in the early 1970s. I only went there once and that was shortly before it closed.
Edited by NumisRob
01/21/2021 08:55 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have now reached the 60s! Just a few more years of decimal currency and then back into the shillings and pence!

NZ in 1969 had a special dollar based around the bicentenary of Captain Cook. This was only the 2nd dollar coin issued after 1967's commemorative one and none in 1968. It was decided to make a commemorative dollar a regular thing for each year and some years like 1970 and 1974, 2 would be issued.

Standard UNC Cook dollars of 1969.

Here I show the front and both sides in a case, I have multiples of these coins and thus can show both sides. Some 400k loose were minted and 100k more in sets, 50k of these were polished (Mirror finish and prooflike but not proof).

Here is a Polished set, which was the "Deluxe" version at the time, Proof sets did not exist until 1971. They were sold in vinyl wallets for 1969/1970 and the plush cases were sold for extra (Not sure how much).

1968/67 they merely stuck a set inside the cardboard folders (Will show you in 1968).

A plush case outside and was opened with brass fastener, closing them often made the coins jump out of their slots.

Hence why in 1970, they stopped offering these plush cases.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The $1 and 50 cent also had an inscribed edge

This shows the 50 cents - Reading "Cook Bi - Centenary 1769 -1969". 100k were issued and these were in the sets 50k UNC and 50k Polished. Apparently a few were sold glued to cards as well making the mintage over 100k?

The dollar also had an inscription reading the same but with "Commemorating" in front of it.

The Dollar has a scarce variety where there is no hyphen between Bi and Centenary.

Finally with standard circulation coins, all but the 1 cent and 50 cents were issued in 1969. Numbers of each coin were low except the 2 cents which was high, despite the huge 1967 issues, none were issued in 1968 and the small bronze 1c and 2c saw the largest demand and no doubt many got lost.

Here is a very worn 2c and 5c - so not all glitz and glamour in my collection!
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 17,528Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05